Question about vector fields, div, curl grad

In summary, the conversation is about finding a proof for the statements: if div X = 0, then X = curl Y for some field Y, and if curl X = 0, then X = grad Y for some field Y. The conversation provides hints for the proofs, but the person asking for help is looking for a reference. The expert summarizes that these proofs involve using the divergence theorem and Stokes theorem around arbitrary orientable closed surfaces and closed plane curves respectively, and are known as Helmholtz's theorem in E&M.
bobkolker

Homework Statement

I need a pointer to a proof of the following items:
if div X =0 then X = curl Y for some field Y.
if curl X = 0 then X = grad Y for some field Y.

Can anyone provide a pointer to a proof?

Thanks.

Bob Kolker

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of hints

First one: think about what X would look like on the boundary of a sphere
Second one: think about what X would look like on the interior of a closed plane curve (a loop that lies in a single plane)

I have no doubt the equations are true. I am looking for a reference to a proof. Can you help me out? :Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have a good reference for you, but I remember these two proofs. They both follow a similar procedure using the divergence theorem and Stokes theorem around arbitrary orientable closed surfaces and closed plane curves respectively. Start with the second one, it's a little simpler.

I think this is called Helmholtz's theorem in E&M (Electricity and Magnetism). The div(curl A)=0 in all cases and also curl (grad V)=0 in all cases, but the converse that there exists a field, etc. is Helmholtz's theorem.

Last edited:

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of vector quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, in a given space. It assigns a vector value to every point in the space, visualized as arrows that represent the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point.

What is the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of how much the vector field is "spreading out" or "converging" at a given point in space. It is represented by the operator "div" and is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇) and then finding the scalar divergence of that result.

What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a measure of the rotation or "curling" behavior of the vector field at a given point in space. It is represented by the operator "curl" and is calculated by taking the cross product of the vector field with the del operator (∇) and then finding the vector curl of that result.

What is the gradient of a scalar field?

The gradient of a scalar field is a vector field that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the scalar field at a given point in space. It is represented by the operator "grad" and is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the scalar field with respect to each variable and combining them into a vector.

How are div, curl, and grad related to each other?

Div, curl, and grad are all operators used in vector calculus to describe the behavior of vector fields. They are related to each other through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the curl of the gradient of a scalar field is always equal to zero, and the divergence of the curl of a vector field is always equal to zero.