Question involving Young's modulus (mass hanging from a wire)

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about finding the stress of a wire using the formula for force over area. The original poster is confused about their answer and is questioning the accuracy of their teacher's answer. They also mention difficulty in using the forum's tools and ask for clarification. Another user points out an error in the question, specifically the modulus of copper, which coincidentally gives the correct answer for the stress question. The conversation ends with a thank you.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
finding the stress
Relevant Equations
force over area
1599937672195.png

1599937732755.png

so what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
chriscarson said:
Homework Statement:: finding the stress
Relevant Equations:: force over area

View attachment 269268

View attachment 269269

so what I did wrong?
(Please get in the habit of typing the problem and your work into the forum window. It makes it so much easier to try to quote your work and help you. Also, see the LaTeX tutorial in the lower left of the Edit Window. Thank you.)

I'm not sure how they got their answer. Mine is similar to yours, but different by a factor of 10 for some reason.

$$F = 2kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 19.6N$$
$$A = \pi r^2 = \pi * (0.002m)^2$$
$$Stress = \frac{F}{A} = \frac{2kg * 9.8m/s^2}{\pi * (0.002m)^2} = \frac{19.6N}{12.56 * 10^{-6}m^2} = 1.56 * 10^6 N/m^2$$

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
(Please get in the habit of typing the problem and your work into the forum window. It makes it so much easier to try to quote your work and help you. Also, see the LaTeX tutorial in the lower left of the Edit Window. Thank you.)

I'm not sure how they got their answer. Mine is similar to yours, but different by a factor of 10 for some reason.

$$F = 2kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 19.6N$$
$$A = \pi * r^2 = \pi * (0.002m)^2$$
$$Stress = \frac{F}{A} = \frac{2kg * 9.8m/s^2}{\pi * (0.002m)^2} = \frac{19.6N}{12.56 * 10^{-6}m^2} = 1.56 * 10^6 N/m^2$$

(the problem is that I m not understanding how you ask a question here )

Probably because I typed 19.6133 instead of 19.6 like you I have the answer different from yours, so another mistake by the teacher, that s bad , ok thanks for now

I press

forums,

Introductory Physics Homework Help

1599940001150.png

and I fill up this , have to be different as where to write ?

chriscarson said:
I press

forums,

Introductory Physics Homework Help

View attachment 269270

and I fill up this , have to be different as where to write ?
Sorry, are you asking where the LaTeX Guide / tutorial is? It's in the lower left of the Edit Window, as shown in the screenshot below. It is also available by clicking INFO, Help at the top of the page. :smile:

1599940177498.png

Also, when you clicked "Reply" to my post above with the LaTeX math in it, you could see what I typed to generate that LaTeX math rendering. :smile:

1599940482906.png

is this place ?

chriscarson said:
View attachment 269273

is this place ?
Interesting, I think I see your point. When starting a new thread, the LaTeX Guide link does not seem to show up at the bottom of the Edit Window. That looks like a bug to me, so I'll report it.

Here is a direct link to the LaTeX tutorial, which you can always reach by clicking on INFO, Help at the top of the page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes chriscarson
berkeman said:
Interesting, I think I see your point. When starting a new thread, the LaTeX Guide link does not seem to show up at the bottom of the Edit Window. That looks like a bug to me, so I'll report it.

Here is a direct link to the LaTeX tutorial, which you can always reach by clicking on INFO, Help at the top of the page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

still I was not going to use it because I don t know the purpose but next time I will write in the last screen shot I sent you .hope I don t cause you trouble .

No trouble. We just like to help folks learn how to use the PF tools to make better posts, which helps you to get better replies (and helps us to reply to you). Feel free to send me a PM (private message, just click on my Avatar and "Start a Conversation) if you have further questions about how best to use the PF. :smile:

Likes chriscarson
The question is a mess.
If my eyes do not deceive me, it gives the answer as 2.9 x 10-4Nm-2, ten orders of magnitude out.
And it states the modulus of copper as 1.6x106Nm-2. Were that so, a 2kg weight should double the length of the wire, which defies my intuition. In fact, the modulus is around 1011 Nm-2.
Note the coincidence between the erroneous modulus value and the correct answer to the stress question.

Likes chriscarson and berkeman
berkeman said:
No trouble. We just like to help folks learn how to use the PF tools to make better posts, which helps you to get better replies (and helps us to reply to you). Feel free to send me a PM (private message, just click on my Avatar and "Start a Conversation) if you have further questions about how best to use the PF. :smile:

Thanks 🙂

haruspex said:
The question is a mess.
If my eyes do not deceive me, it gives the answer as 2.9 x 10-4Nm-2, ten orders of magnitude out.
And it states the modulus of copper as 1.6x106Nm-2. Were that so, a 2kg weight should double the length of the wire, which defies my intuition. In fact, the modulus is around 1011 Nm-2.
Note the coincidence between the erroneous modulus value and the correct answer to the stress question.

So there is a double mistake in question and answer ?

chriscarson said:
So there is a double mistake in question and answer ?
Yes. The value it provides for the modulus is actually the answer to the first part of the question.
I assume the next part of the question asks you to find the extension. I don't think this will be 2.9 x 10-4m, but within an order of magnitude of that. Depends what value they intended to provide for the modulus.

Likes chriscarson
yes next question is find the elongation.(answer 3.61m )

chriscarson said:
yes next question is find the elongation.(answer 3.61m )
Fascinating. Roughly doubling the length would be the expected consequence of using the stress as also the modulus.

Likes chriscarson
haruspex said:
Fascinating. Roughly doubling the length would be the expected consequence of using the stress as also the modulus.

Hope it was one of a kind with this question and answer.

1. What is Young's modulus?

The Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain in a material when it is subjected to tensile or compressive forces.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

You can calculate Young's modulus by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. It is typically expressed in units of pascals (Pa) or gigapascals (GPa).

3. What is the significance of Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is an important property of materials as it helps to determine how they will behave under stress. Materials with a high Young's modulus are stiffer and more resistant to deformation, while materials with a low Young's modulus are more flexible and easier to deform.

4. How does Young's modulus relate to a mass hanging from a wire?

When a mass is hung from a wire, it causes the wire to stretch due to the force of gravity acting on the mass. The amount of stretch is directly related to the applied force and the material's Young's modulus. The higher the Young's modulus, the less the wire will stretch for a given force.

5. Can Young's modulus be changed?

Young's modulus is an inherent property of a material and cannot be changed. However, it can be affected by external factors such as temperature, strain rate, and impurities in the material. Additionally, different materials have different Young's moduli, so choosing the right material is important for a specific application.