Question: Is n1xn2 = 0 if n1xn2 does not intersect the plane?

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation was about a true or false question regarding the intersection of two vectors (n1 and n2) in a plane. The question was poorly worded and could have been better stated as the contrapositive: if the cross product of the two vectors does not equal zero, then a line with that direction vector would intersect the plane at exactly one point.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

I just remembered another question that I wasn't to sure about

1) if n1xn2 does not intersect the plan then n1xn2=0
I chose false for this one.

thoughts?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What are n1 and n2, and what is "the plan"?

Plane* sorry, n1, and n2 and vectors.

What plane is this? n1 x n2 is a vector, and for any given vector there are infinitely many planes it does not intersect.

Its a true or false question, don't know what else to tell you.

What is "the" plane in the question? Or was that really "a" plane?

I'm guessing that n1 and n2 are vectors in the plane, and "intersect" means that it (n1 x n2) intersects at a single point.

Indeed Mark.

Mdhiggenz said:
Its a true or false question, don't know what else to tell you.

You could tell us the complete and exact wording of the question. I have read up through post #8 and I still have no idea what this is about.

Honestly that is exactly how the question was worded.

Since you're going by what might be an imperfect memory of the problem statement, let's assume that it was as I said.

IOW, n1 and n2 are vectors in a plane. If n1 X n2 does not intersect the plane at a single point, then n1 X n2 = 0.

Ugggg why put true or false on a math exam...

What a poorly worded question then. Vectors don't intersect planes. Lines with the given vector as a direction vector might. It would better be stated as the contrapositive: If ##\vec n_1 \times \vec n_2 \ne \vec 0## a line with that direction vector intersects the plane in exactly one point.

Related to Question: Is n1xn2 = 0 if n1xn2 does not intersect the plane?

1. What does n1xn2 represent in this equation?

n1xn2 represents the cross product of two vectors, n1 and n2.

2. Can you explain the concept of intersecting planes?

Intersecting planes are two or more planes that share a common line or point. In other words, they have at least one point that exists on both planes.

3. What happens when the cross product of two vectors does not intersect the plane?

If the cross product of two vectors does not intersect the plane, it means that the two vectors are parallel to each other and do not have a common point or line. Therefore, the result of the cross product will be a zero vector, indicating that there is no intersection.

4. Is there a specific scenario where n1xn2 = 0 if n1xn2 does not intersect the plane?

Yes, if n1 and n2 are perpendicular to each other, their cross product will be a zero vector and will not intersect the plane.

5. How is the cross product related to intersecting planes?

The cross product is used to determine if two vectors intersect a plane. If the resulting vector from the cross product is a zero vector, it means that the two vectors are parallel and do not intersect the plane. If the resulting vector is not a zero vector, it means that the two vectors intersect the plane at a specific point or line.