R S Configuration Assigning Priorities

In summary, the order of priority for the given elements is OCOCH3 > NH2 > COOCH3 > COOH > COCH3 > C6H5. This priority was assigned by considering the atomic numbers of the neighboring elements and choosing the largest. When determining the priority of a group attached to benzene, the attached group is counted as a carbon attached to three other carbons.
Nitin_Naudiya
The Order of priority of few elements is given Below

OCOCH3 > NH2 > COOCH3 > COOH > COCH3 > C6H6

Can anyone explain me how these priority were assigned.

If we consider C6H6 ...out of the 6 Carbon Atoms which one should i choose ... and if i choose anyone of the Six then i should add their Atomic Numbers of the neighbouring elements and then find out the Largest and that would have the highest Priority. I tried this method with all the atoms but couldn't understand .What approach should i take.

Please Explain me atleast 3 of the above mentioned compounds so that i can get an idea of how to go about it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nitin_Naudiya said:
The Order of priority of few elements is given Below

OCOCH3 > NH2 > COOCH3 > COOH > COCH3 > C6H6

Can anyone explain me how these priority were assigned.

If we consider C6H6 ...out of the 6 Carbon Atoms which one should i choose ... and if i choose anyone of the Six then i should add their Atomic Numbers of the neighbouring elements and then find out the Largest and that would have the highest Priority. I tried this method with all the atoms but couldn't understand .What approach should i take.

Please Explain me atleast 3 of the above mentioned compounds so that i can get an idea of how to go about it.
I think the C6H6 is an error and should actually be -C6H5... that is if you are determining the priority of an attached benzene group.

Yes it is C6H5

Sorry for the Error

Well, that answers the following.
If we consider C6H6 ...out of the 6 Carbon Atoms which one should i choose...

When assigning priorities, you count double bonds the same way you do for alkanes. So for benzene you would consider the attached group as a carbon attached to three other carbons in the same way that a tertiary carbon of an alkane is attached to three other carbons. If you were to rank benzene against t-butyl, you would choose benzene as higher ranking than t-butyl because the methyl groups of t-butyl are of lower rank (carbon attached to three hydrogens) than the adjacent carbons in the benzene ring (carbon attached to one hydrogen and two carbons).

The priority of functional groups in organic compounds is determined using the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) system, which assigns priorities based on the atomic numbers of the atoms directly attached to the functional group. The higher the atomic number, the higher the priority.

To understand this better, let's take the example of COOH and COOCH3. In COOH, the carbon atom is bonded to an oxygen atom (atomic number 8) and a hydrogen atom (atomic number 1). In COOCH3, the carbon atom is bonded to two oxygen atoms (atomic number 8) and a hydrogen atom (atomic number 1). Since the atomic number of oxygen is higher than hydrogen, COOCH3 has a higher priority than COOH.

Similarly, in NH2 and OCOCH3, the nitrogen atom (atomic number 7) has a higher priority than the oxygen atom (atomic number 8), giving NH2 a higher priority.

In the case of C6H6, all six carbon atoms have the same atomic number (6), so the next step is to look at the atoms attached to each carbon atom. If we follow the CIP system, we would prioritize the atoms based on their atomic numbers. However, in the case of aromatic compounds like benzene (C6H6), the functional group with the highest priority is the one that has the largest number of atoms directly attached to the benzene ring. So, in this case, C6H6 would have the highest priority.

To summarize, the priority of functional groups is determined by the atomic numbers of the atoms directly attached to them, with higher atomic numbers having a higher priority. In cases where the atomic numbers are the same, the priority is based on the number of atoms directly attached to the functional group.

Related to R S Configuration Assigning Priorities

What is R S Configuration Assigning Priorities?

R S Configuration Assigning Priorities is a method used in organic chemistry to determine the stereochemistry of chiral molecules. It involves assigning priorities to different groups attached to a central carbon atom based on the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog rules, and determining the configuration of the molecule based on the highest priority group being on the right (R) or left (S) side of the molecule.

How do you determine the priorities of groups in R S Configuration Assigning Priorities?

The Cahn-Ingold-Prelog rules are used to determine the priorities of groups in R S Configuration Assigning Priorities. These rules assign priorities based on the atomic number of the atoms attached to the central carbon atom. The higher the atomic number, the higher the priority.

What does the R and S in R S Configuration Assigning Priorities stand for?

The R and S in R S Configuration Assigning Priorities stand for rectus (Latin for right) and sinister (Latin for left), respectively. These terms are used to indicate the configuration of the molecule based on the priority of the groups attached to the central carbon atom.

What is a chiral molecule?

A chiral molecule is a molecule that has a non-superimposable mirror image. This means that the molecule and its mirror image are not the same, and cannot be aligned by rotation and translation. Chiral molecules are important in organic chemistry because they can have different biological and chemical properties depending on their configuration.

Why is R S Configuration Assigning Priorities important in organic chemistry?

R S Configuration Assigning Priorities is important in organic chemistry because it allows us to determine the configuration of chiral molecules, which can affect their properties and reactivity. It also helps us understand the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule, which is crucial in designing and synthesizing new compounds for various applications.