Recommendations for learning renormalization?

In summary: They discuss renormalization in the early chapters, in the context of QED and Fermi interactions, which are simpler than QCD. In summary, there are various resources available for learning renormalization in quantum mechanics, such as textbooks by Schwartz and Collins, as well as lectures by Osborne and Neumaier. However, it is important to read carefully and be aware of potential typos. Ultimately, renormalization is a complex process that requires in-depth understanding and long calculations, but learning it in quantum mechanics can provide a good foundation for its application in quantum field theory.
RobertGC
TL;DR Summary
Texts for a gentle intro to quantum field theory.
I’ve tried multiple times to learn the methods of renormalization without success. Assume I know quantum mechanics at the level of Griffith’s, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics what’s a good intro to learning renormalization?

Robert Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
RobertGC said:
what’s a good intro to learning renormalization?
There isn't one. You can't skip past the beginning of QFT into the middle.

Likes RobertGC
Ok. What’s a good intro to QFT?

Robert Clark

RobertGC said:
Assume I know quantum mechanics at the level of Griffith’s, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics what’s a good intro to learning renormalization?
You can learn renormalization in quantum mechanics as a prelude for its later use in quantum field theory. Most of the mystery of the renormalization process will be gone after having read my paper
But nothing can save you from going through the long calculations accompanying the applications in quantum field theory.

Last edited:
Likes RobertGC, vanhees71, atyy and 2 others
RobertGC said:
Summary:: Texts for a gentle intro to quantum field theory.

I’ve tried multiple times to learn the methods of renormalization without success. Assume I know quantum mechanics at the level of Griffith’s, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics what’s a good intro to learning renormalization?

Robert Clark
Have you tried Klauber, Student Friendly QFT?

Likes RobertGC, weirdoguy and vanhees71
My favorite intro text is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York (2014).

Especially for renormalization there is

J. C. Collins, Renormalization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne (1986).

Here you find my notes on QFT including renormalization using both the dimensional-regularization and the direct BPHZ approach (without intermediate regularization):

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

• Informative
Likes LittleSchwinger, CelHolo, Keith_McClary and 2 others
A. Neumaier said:
You can learn renormalization in quantum mechanics as a prelude for its later use in quantum field theory. Most of the mystery of the renormalization process will be gone after read my paper
But nothing can save you from going through the long calculations accompanying the applications in quantum field theory.

Thanks for the ref.

Robert Clark

Demystifier said:
Have you tried Klauber, Student Friendly QFT?

Thanks.

Robert Clark

vanhees71 said:
My favorite intro text is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York (2014).

Especially for renormalization there is

J. C. Collins, Renormalization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne (1986).

Here you find my notes on QFT including renormalization using both the dimensional-regularization and the direct BPHZ approach (without intermediate regularization):

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Thank you.

Robert Clark

I'd also recommend reading through the first seven chapters of Peskin and Schroder carefully.

Likes RobertGC
vanhees71 said:
Peter Weisz's 2009 Les Houches notes are a nice intro to Collins. Although Collins itself is very well written.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1004.3462

Likes RobertGC
CelHolo said:
I'd also recommend reading through the first seven chapters of Peskin and Schroder carefully.
The emphasis is on "carefully". A textbook, where dimensionful arguments of logarithms occur in the chapter on renormalization, must indeed be read with great care. It's really a pitty that this in principle very good textbook is so full of non-trivial typos :-(.

• Wow
Likes RobertGC, Demystifier and CelHolo
A. Neumaier said:
You can learn renormalization in quantum mechanics as a prelude for its later use in quantum field theory. Most of the mystery of the renormalization process will be gone after having read my paper
Hi! This link does not work anymore. Your own website link has a potential threat warning when trying to access the pdf. Could you please reply if it is safe to access your own website?

Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Hi! This link does not work anymore. Your own website link has a potential threat warning when trying to access the pdf. Could you please reply if it is safe to access your own website?
My website moved. Change in all my old links arnold-neumaier.at to arnold-neumaier.at and you'll find the corresponding files.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and Ishika_96_sparkles
A. Neumaier said:
My website moved. Change in all my old links www.mat.univie.ac.at to arnold-neumaier.at and you'll find the corresponding files.
Thanks a lot Prof. Neumaier!

Likes vanhees71
Ishika_96_sparkles said:
Could you please reply if it is safe to access your own website?
Actually the change announced first was invalid; see the corrected version.

Likes Ishika_96_sparkles and vanhees71
I suggest starting with Halzen and Martin.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is renormalization and why is it important in science?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations. It is important because it allows for the prediction of physical quantities that would otherwise be infinite, and has been successful in explaining a wide range of phenomena in physics.

2. What are some common techniques used for learning renormalization?

Some common techniques for learning renormalization include perturbation theory, the renormalization group, and the use of Feynman diagrams. These techniques involve breaking down complex calculations into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. How long does it take to learn renormalization?

The time it takes to learn renormalization can vary depending on a person's background knowledge and level of dedication. Generally, it can take several months to a year of studying and practice to gain a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.

4. Are there any online resources or courses available for learning renormalization?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for learning renormalization. Some popular options include online lectures and tutorials, textbooks, and online forums where students and experts can discuss and ask questions about the topic.

5. How can renormalization be applied in other fields outside of physics?

While renormalization was originally developed for use in physics, it has also been applied in other fields such as economics, biology, and computer science. In these fields, it is used as a mathematical tool for removing infinities and simplifying complex calculations, similar to its use in physics.