Rectilinear motion (displacement, position) calculus

In summary: The zeroes are easily found with the quadratic formula, though one must be careful with the signs because the coefficients of the polynomial are not real numbers.In summary, a particle with a linearly varying rectilinear acceleration and initial conditions of velocity at t = 1s and position at t = 2s is given. To find the displacement of the particle at t = 5s, the equations of motion are integrated and the initial conditions are applied. The displacement is found to be 230m. To determine the distance traveled by the particle over the same time interval, the absolute value of the velocity is taken and integrated. This results in a distance of 234m, taking into account the reversal of motion at t = sqrt(2/
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

A particle has a linearly varying rectilinear acceleration of a=x''i=(12t)i m/s^2. Two observations of the particle's motion are made: Its velocity at t = 1s is x'i=2i m/s, and its position at t= 2s is given bt xi=3i m.
(a) Find the displacement of the particle at t=5s relative to where it was at t = 0s.
(b) Determine the distance traveled by the particle over the same time interval.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
x''=12t
x'(1)=2
x(2)=3

Integrate x''=12t and apply initial conditions and get the equations of motion:
x''=12t
x'=6t^2-4
x=2t^3-4t-5

(a) plug in: x(5)-x(0) and get 230m. Correct answer
(b) Isn't it the same thing? x(5)-x(0)? But the book says its 234 m. No idea how this came about.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the distance traveled, calculate

dist = ∫ |x'| dt

=∫05 | 6t2 - 4 | dt

=∫0√(2/3) (-6t2 + 4) dt

+∫√(2/3)5 (6t2 - 4) dt

= 2.1773 + 232.1773

= 234.354

The difference is that this motion reverses direction.

so distance is the integral of velocity? Ok, now I don't get where the sqrt(2/3) came from. What's that? And why do you take the absolute value of velocity?

Thanks.

The distance is the integral of the absolute value of the velocity. The distance is the total amount of motion (tire wear, if you want to look at it that way). This system starts off moving to the left until t = sqrt(2/3) at which time the velocity goes to zero and the motion reverses. Then the system moves to the right from t = sqrt(2/3) until t = 5.

To start the problem, you have to recognize that the motion will reverse, and you have to find the time at which that reversal occurs. Then you work the problem in two parts, before and after the reversal.

It might help you to plot a graph of the velocity to increase your understanding.

How did you get t=sqrt(2/3)? Is it from the equation 2t^3-4t-5=0? If so can you show the steps because I can't figure it out for the life of me this cubic equation.

It comes from finding the zeroes of the velocity function. This is necessary to understand how to handle the sign changes required for the absolute value function.

1. What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, with a constant speed and direction.

2. What is displacement in rectilinear motion?

Displacement is the measurement of an object's change in position from its starting point to its ending point.

3. How is displacement calculated in rectilinear motion?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object.

4. What is position in rectilinear motion?

Position is the location of an object at a specific point in time during its motion.

5. How is position determined in rectilinear motion calculus?

Position can be determined by using the object's displacement, velocity, and time measurements in the equation x = x0 + vt, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v is the velocity, and t is the time elapsed.