Recurrence relation for Bessel Functions

In summary, when proving a relation using a generating function, one must compare the coefficients of each term on both sides. This can be done by looking at the terms with the same power, and extracting the coefficient from each term. This method can also be used when comparing two polynomials that are supposed to be equal, by looking at the terms with the same power and setting them equal to each other.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

I want to prove this relation
##J_{n-1}(x) + J_{n+1}(x)=\frac{2n}{x}J_{n}(x))##
from the generating function. The same question was asked in this page with solution.
http://www.edaboard.com/thread47250.html
My problem is the part with comparing the coefficient. I don't understand how to compare them. They all have different powers. All pages that i visited have the same solution. Just said "compare the coefficient." They don't explain it.
Do you have a homepage that contains a detailed solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pual Black said:

Homework Statement

from the generating function. The same question was asked in this page with solution.
My problem is the part with comparing the coefficient. I don't understand how to compare them. They all have different powers. All pages that i visited have the same solution. Just said "compare the coefficient." They don't explain it.
If two polynomials ##x^2+2x+3## and ##a_3x^3+a_2x^2+a_1x+a_0## are equal, what can you say about the ##a_i##?

Pual Black said:

Homework Statement

If you have two power series in ##t## that are supposed to be equal for all ##t##, then for each ##n## the coefficients of ##t^n## must be the same on both sides. So, look at the terms in ##t^0## on both sides; what will that give you? Then look at the terms in ##t^1## on both sides, and see what you get. Now try to extract the terms in ##t^n## on both sides.

Note that if you have something like ##\sum_n a_n t^n + \sum b_n t^{n-1} + \sum_n c_n t^{n+1}## then the terms in ## t^n## are ##(a_n + b_{n+1} + c_{n-1}) t^n##. Do you see why?

fresh_42 said:
If two polynomials ##x^2+2x+3## and ##a_3x^3+a_2x^2+a_1x+a_0## are equal, what can you say about the ##a_i##?
I think i got it.
Also
##a_0=3##
##a_1=2##
##a_2=1##
##a_3=0##
Ray Vickson said:
If you have two power series in ##t## that are supposed to be equal for all ##t##, then for each ##n## the coefficients of ##t^n## must be the same on both sides. So, look at the terms in ##t^0## on both sides; what will that give you? Then look at the terms in ##t^1## on both sides, and see what you get. Now try to extract the terms in ##t^n## on both sides.

Note that if you have something like ##\sum_n a_n t^n + \sum b_n t^{n-1} + \sum_n c_n t^{n+1}## then the terms in ## t^n## are ##(a_n + b_{n+1} + c_{n-1}) t^n##. Do you see why?

Sorry but i never had to use this method. I don't know why i can change the index "n". Is it because of the summation?

Pual Black said:
I think i got it.
Also
##a_0=3##
##a_1=2##
##a_2=1##
##a_3=0##

Sorry but i never had to use this method. I don't know why i can change the index "n". Is it because of the summation?

For the summation I presented, write out ALL the terms for n = 1, 2 and 3; there are 9 of them. Now pick out all the terms in ##t^2##.

Likes Pual Black
Ray Vickson said:
For the summation I presented, write out ALL the terms for n = 1, 2 and 3; there are 9 of them. Now pick out all the terms in ##t^2##.

Thank you. I understand it now.

I got this
##(a_1t^1+a_2t^2+a_3t^3+b_1t^0+ b_2t^1+b3t^2+c_1t^2+c_2t^3+c_3t^4##.
The terms for ##t^2## are
##a_2+b_3+c_1##
Which is the same as

##(a_n + b_{n+1} + c_{n-1}) t^n##.

1. What is a recurrence relation for Bessel Functions?

A recurrence relation for Bessel functions is a mathematical formula that relates different values of a Bessel function at different points. It is used to simplify the calculation of Bessel functions, which are important mathematical functions in areas such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. How is a recurrence relation for Bessel Functions derived?

A recurrence relation for Bessel functions is derived using properties of the Bessel functions, such as the differential equation they satisfy and their series representations. These properties are used to create a recursive formula that relates the values of the Bessel function at different points.

3. What is the significance of a recurrence relation for Bessel Functions?

A recurrence relation for Bessel functions is significant because it allows for the efficient calculation of Bessel functions at any point without having to use their complicated series representations. This makes it easier to use Bessel functions in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Are there different types of recurrence relations for Bessel Functions?

Yes, there are different types of recurrence relations for Bessel functions, such as the forward recurrence relation and the backward recurrence relation. These variations differ in the direction in which they are used to calculate the values of the Bessel function.

5. Can recurrence relations for Bessel Functions be used for other types of functions?

Yes, recurrence relations can be used for other types of functions as well, not just Bessel functions. In general, recurrence relations are used to simplify the calculation of mathematical functions and are commonly used in various areas of mathematics and science.