How Fast Is the Water Level Rising in a Trough as It Fills?

• Thread starter ricky23i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary: And no, everything else is not correct. You need to use the chain rule to differentiate V= 8h^2 with respect to time. In summary, the trough is 8 ft long with isosceles triangle ends that are 2 ft across at the top and 1 ft tall. The volume of water in the trough can be represented by V=8h^2, where h is the height of the water. If the trough is being filled at a rate of 11 ft3/min, the water level is rising at a rate of dh/dt= 16h ft/min, where h is the height of the water. To find the specific rate of the water level rising when the water is
ricky23i
A trough is 8 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 2 ft across at the top and have a height of 1 ft. If the trough is being filled with water at a rate of 11 ft3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 9 inches deep?I got V=2h^2 (8)/2
V=8h^2
dv/dx=16h
11=16h

how do I get the height I am a confused and is everything else right? and can someone switch this to the homework thread just noticed

Physics news on Phys.org
ricky23i said:
A trough is 8 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 2 ft across at the top and have a height of 1 ft.
The crucial point is that what ever the height of the water a cross section will have the same "shape". The base will be twice the height. Since the area of a triangle is "1/2 base times height", the are of a cross section will be "1/2 times twice the height times the height" or just [itex]h^2[/itex].

If the trough is being filled with water at a rate of 11 ft3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 9 inches deep?

I got

V=2h^2 (8)/2
V=8h^2
Yes, this is correct.

dv/dx=16h
There is no "x" in the problem! What is true is that dv/dh= 16h.

11=16h
But dV/dh is not 11. You told that "the trough is being filled with water at a rate of 11 ft3/min". The denominator is in minutes- dv/dt= 11 cubic feet per minute where t is the time. What you need to do is to differentiate both sides of V= 8h^2 with respect to time, using the chain rule.

how do I get the height I am a confused and is everything else right? and can someone switch this to the homework thread just noticed
You don't get the height- that is given as 9 inches. You are asked "how fast is the water level rising" which is a rate of change: dh/dt.

1. What is the importance of relative rates?

Relative rates help us understand the speed or rate at which a process or reaction is occurring in comparison to another. This is crucial in determining the efficiency and effectiveness of a reaction or process.

2. How are relative rates calculated?

Relative rates are calculated by taking the ratio of the rate of one process to the rate of another process. This can be expressed as a comparison of the number of events or changes that occur per unit of time.

3. What factors can affect relative rates?

There are several factors that can affect relative rates, including temperature, concentration, and catalysts. These factors can alter the rate at which a reaction or process occurs and therefore impact the relative rates.

4. How can relative rates be used in scientific research?

Relative rates can be used in scientific research to compare the effectiveness of different methods or to determine the most efficient conditions for a process. They can also be used to study the kinetics of a reaction or process.

5. Can relative rates be used in real-world applications?

Yes, relative rates have many real-world applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics. They can be used to optimize industrial processes, understand biological reactions, and improve the efficiency of various systems.