Residue of a ratio of polynomials

In summary, the residue of a ratio of polynomials is the constant term that remains after dividing the numerator polynomial by the denominator polynomial. It is calculated using polynomial long division and plays a significant role in complex analysis, including the computation of integrals and series. It can be negative and is related to the concept of residues in complex analysis.
PAR

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the inverse laplace of [tex]\frac{s^2-a^2}{(s^2+a^2)^2}[/tex]

I am supposed to use the residue definition of inverse laplace (given below)

The poles of F(s) are at ai and at -ai and they are both double poles.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(t) = \sum_{j=1}^{N}Res[F(s)*e^{st};s_{j}][/tex]

Where [tex]s_{j}[/tex] are the poles of F(s)

[tex]Residue(f(z)) = \frac{1}{(m-1)!}lim_{z->z0}\frac{d^{m-1}}{dz^{m-1}}((z-z0)^{m}f(z))[/tex]

where z0 is a pole of order m of f(z)

The Attempt at a Solution

The poles of F(s) are at ai and at -ai and they are both double poles.

If you can just help find the residue of ai I'm sure I can figure out -ai.

[tex]Residue[F(s);ai] = lim_{s->ai}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{ds}\frac{(s-ai)^2(s^2-a^2)}{(s-ai)^2*(s+ai)^2}[/tex]

[tex]= lim_{s->ai}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{ds}\frac{s^2-a^2}{(s+ai)^2}[/tex]

using quotient rule I get:

[tex]= lim_{s->ai}[/tex][tex]\frac{2s(s+ai)^2-2(s+ai)(s^2-a^2)}{(s+ai)^4}[/tex]

substitute ai for s

[tex]=\frac{2ai(2ai)^2-2(2ai)(-2a^2)}{(2ai)^4}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2ai(-4a^2)+8a^3i}{16a^4} = 0[/tex]

But it can't equal zero right? I also get zero when I try to calculate the residue at -ai.

Physics news on Phys.org
To compute residues the limit formula is (in general) not recommended. It is messy and you can easily make mistakes that you then can't correct easily by backtracking the calculations. Instead, you should compute the Laurent expansion around the poles using known series expansions.

E.g. to find the residue at s = i a, you put

s = i a + t

and compute the coefficient of 1/t:

[2iat + t^2 - 2a^2]/[t^2 + 2iat]^2 =

1/(2iat)^2 [2iat + t^2 - 2a^2] 1/[1+t/(2ia)]^2 =

1/(2iat)^2 [2iat + t^2 - 2a^2] [1-t/(ia) + O(t^2)]

So, we see that the residue is:

-i/(4a)

PAR said:
But it can't equal zero right? I also get zero when I try to calculate the residue at -ai.
Yes, the residue of F(s) at s=ia is zero. Like you said, it has a double pole there; it will only have a non-zero residue if the pole is a simple pole.

To find the inverse Laplace transform, however, you need to calculate the residue of F(s)est, and that function does have a simple pole at s=ia. Like Count Iblis, I suggest you expand the function in a Laurent series about s=ia.

Related to Residue of a ratio of polynomials

What is the definition of "residue of a ratio of polynomials"?

The residue of a ratio of polynomials is the constant term that remains after dividing the numerator polynomial by the denominator polynomial. It is also sometimes referred to as the "remainder" or "fractional part" of the division.

How is the residue of a ratio of polynomials calculated?

The residue of a ratio of polynomials can be calculated by dividing the numerator polynomial by the denominator polynomial using polynomial long division. The constant term of the resulting polynomial is the residue.

What is the significance of the residue of a ratio of polynomials?

The residue of a ratio of polynomials is important in the study of complex numbers and their properties. It is used to calculate the poles and zeroes of rational functions, and plays a role in the computation of integrals and series in complex analysis.

Can the residue of a ratio of polynomials be negative?

Yes, the residue of a ratio of polynomials can be negative. This indicates that the constant term of the resulting polynomial is a negative number, which is possible when the numerator polynomial has a higher degree than the denominator polynomial.

How does the residue of a ratio of polynomials relate to the concept of residues in complex analysis?

The residue of a ratio of polynomials is a special case of the concept of residues in complex analysis. In this context, the residue refers to the coefficient of the term with the highest degree in the Laurent series expansion of a complex function. The residue of a ratio of polynomials is the residue of the corresponding rational function in the complex plane.