Resistance between coaxial cylinders

In summary, two coaxial cylinders are separated by a material of conductivity. The resistance between the cylinders is found by evaluating current and voltage and solving for r.
Reshma
Two coaxial cylinders, inner radius a and outer radius b are separated by a material of conductivity given by [itex]\sigma (r) = k/r[/itex] for some constant 'k'. Find the resistance between the cylinders.

Here the conductivity is a function of position and the charge density is not zero in the resistive medium, and the electric field [itex]\vec E[/itex] does not go as 1/r. So how is this problem solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Two coaxial cylinders, inner radius a and outer radius b are separated by a material of conductivity given by [itex]\sigma (r) = k/r[/itex] for some constant 'k'. Find the resistance between the cylinders.

Here the conductivity is a function of position and the charge density is not zero in the resistive medium, and the electric field [itex]\vec E[/itex] does not go as 1/r. So how is this problem solved?

Assuming steady state, div j=0 so j=j_0/r and E=j/\sigma=constant.

Meir Achuz said:
The charge density is not zero here, so [itex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = {1\over \sigma}\vec \nabla \cdot \vec J = 0[/itex] will not hold good.

Reshma said:
The charge density is not zero here, so [itex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = {1\over \sigma}\vec \nabla \cdot \vec J = 0[/itex] will not hold good.

Div E is NOT zero. Div j is zero because rho is constant in time.
Your equation above should be
[itex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = \vec \nabla \cdot [\vec J/\sigma] ,[/itex]
but Div j does =0.
Do you want to argue or to do the problem?

Last edited:
Meir Achuz said:
Div E is NOT zero. Div j is zero because rho is constant in time.
Your equation above should be
[itex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = \vec \nabla \cdot [\vec J/\sigma] ,[/itex]
but Div j does =0.
Do you want to argue or to do the problem?
Ok, here goes...
I need to evaluate the current and the voltage in order to find the resistance.
[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E = \vec \nabla \cdot [\vec J/\sigma][/tex]

Integrating over a volume dV.
[tex]\int \vec \nabla \cdot \vec E dV= \int \vec \nabla \cdot [\vec J/\sigma] dV[/tex]

By Divergence theorem,

[tex]\int \vec E \cdot d\vec a = \int (\vec J /\sigma)\cdot d\vec a[/tex]

[tex]{Q_{enc}\over \epsilon_0} = \int (\vec J /\sigma)\cdot d\vec a[/tex]

I'm getting stuck here. I don't know how to proceed.

Anyway, I found the current.
But by Ohm's law, [itex]\vec J = \sigma \vec E[/itex]
Current I is given by;
[tex]I = \int \vec J \cdot d\vec a = \int {k\over r}\vec E \cdot d\vec a[/tex]

But, I need [itex]\vec E[/itex] to compute the voltage. How do I do that?

Last edited:
Read my first post.

Meir Achuz said:
[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec J = 0[/tex]
[tex]J = {J_0\over r}[/tex]
[tex]E = {J\over \sigma} = {J_0\over r} {r\over k} = {J_0\over k}[/tex]

[tex]I_{enc} = \int \vec J \cdot d\vec a = \int_a^b {J_0\over r} 2\pi r dr = J_0 2\pi (b-a)[/tex]

[tex]V_a - V_b = -\int_b^a \vec E \cdot d\vec r = {J_0\over k}(b-a)[/tex]

Resistance R will be:
[tex]R = \frac{V_a - V_b}{I} = \left({J_0\over k}(b-a)\right)\left({1\over (J_0 2\pi (b-a)}\right)[/tex]
[tex]R = {1\over 2\pi k}[/tex]

Thank you for your time!

Related to Resistance between coaxial cylinders

1. What is the resistance between coaxial cylinders?

The resistance between coaxial cylinders is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current between the two cylinders. It is affected by factors such as the material, length, and diameter of the cylinders, as well as the distance between them.

2. How is the resistance between coaxial cylinders calculated?

The resistance between coaxial cylinders can be calculated using the formula R = (2πLρ)/ln(b/a), where L is the length of the cylinders, ρ is the resistivity of the material, b is the outer radius, and a is the inner radius of the cylinders.

3. What is the significance of the distance between the coaxial cylinders on resistance?

The distance between the coaxial cylinders has a significant impact on the resistance. As the distance increases, the resistance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance means a longer path for the current to flow, leading to a higher overall resistance.

4. How does the material of the coaxial cylinders affect resistance?

The material of the coaxial cylinders plays a crucial role in determining the resistance. Different materials have different resistivities, which directly affect the overall resistance. For example, materials with high resistivity will have a higher resistance compared to those with lower resistivity.

5. What are some real-life applications of resistance between coaxial cylinders?

The concept of resistance between coaxial cylinders is utilized in various real-life applications, such as in coaxial cables used for transmitting signals, in electric motors, and in medical devices. It is also used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and in scientific research to study the properties of different materials.