Resultant amplitude of 6 phasors

In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem from an undergraduate optics module that they are having trouble finding a neat solution to. They mention potentially missing a relevant equation and considering a geometric approach, but ultimately suggest adding phasors in pairs to simplify the problem. They also mention that question i is easy and question iii can be solved using symmetry.
OnlinePhysicsTutor

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.14.33.png

This is a problem from one of my students, he is taking an undergrad module in optics. Most of the question is fine but I cannot see a neat solution to part ii

Homework Equations

These are the equations for the topic, but I am not sure if we are missing the relevant equation for part ii
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.21.50.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can see is to do it geometrically by calculating components for each of the phasors and find the resultant. But this seem to be far more work than the rest of the questions, so I think I am missing something.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.14.33.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.14.33.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 616
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.21.50.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 948
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 10.21.50.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
You can add the phasors in pairs to reduce the problem to a three-phasor problem. Adding three phasors is straightforward.

Edit: Since it's a numerical problem, it's really not very much work to get the answer through the brute-force method you considered.

Last edited:
Question i is very easy. Question iii can be answered using symmetry. Draw the phasors in a circle of radius E0 like in the figure, so as their sum is zero.

upload_2019-1-6_20-56-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-6_20-56-21.png
    upload_2019-1-6_20-56-21.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 358

What is the resultant amplitude of 6 phasors?

The resultant amplitude of 6 phasors refers to the combined magnitude of all 6 phasors. It takes into account both the amplitude and phase of each individual phasor to determine the overall magnitude of the resulting signal.

How is the resultant amplitude calculated?

The resultant amplitude is calculated by adding together the real parts of each phasor and the imaginary parts of each phasor separately. The resulting real and imaginary numbers are then combined using the Pythagorean theorem to determine the overall magnitude.

What factors can affect the resultant amplitude of 6 phasors?

The resultant amplitude can be affected by the amplitude and phase of each individual phasor, as well as the relative angles between the phasors. Additionally, any changes in the frequency or phase shift of the individual phasors can also impact the resultant amplitude.

What is the significance of the resultant amplitude in signal processing?

The resultant amplitude is an important factor in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a signal. It can help determine the overall strength and shape of a signal, and can also be used to analyze the effects of different phasor combinations on the signal.

How is the resultant amplitude useful in practical applications?

The resultant amplitude is useful in a variety of practical applications, such as in electrical engineering, telecommunications, and audio signal processing. It can be used to analyze and manipulate signals, as well as to design and optimize systems that rely on the combination of multiple phasors.