Reversible heat pump - Work input?

In summary, the ideal heat engine takes in Q1 heat units at T1 and rejects Q2 at T2. The heat engine then abstracts Q4 from the sink at T4 and discharges Q3 at T3. The efficiency of the heat engine is maximized when the carnot Efficiency is reached.
Splint
1. An ideal heat engine (HE) is used to drive a reversible heat pump (HP) as shown in figure
below. The HE takes in Q1 heat units at T1 and rejects Q2 at T2. The HP abstracts Q4 from the sink at T4 and discharges Q3 at T3. Develop an expression for the ratio Q4/Q1 in terms of the four temperatures (T1, T2, T3, & T4)

2.I have sourced some equations for work from elsewhere, but I am unfamiliar with these equations for work as I have not seen them in any of my textbooks or lecture notes. I don't know if the equations are correct, I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that they are correct and some explanation or reference source so I can understand how these equations were derived.

Thanks

Attachments

• HEHP.bmp
    61.2 KB · Views: 575
  • Work equations.bmp
    258.7 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
If the heat engine is ideal, then the maximum efficiency it can work at the carnot efficiency. Do you know how to express this efficiency in terms of the temperatures?

That would be (Th-Tl)/Th correct?

Splint said:

Right so

ηcarnot= (Th-Tl)/Th = 1 - Tl/Th

What is this for your heat engine? (i.e. in terms of T1 and T3)

ηcarnot is also the same as Work Output/Heat Input

So what is your work output equal to?

Splint said:

Correct.

Use the refrigerator COP of the heat pump (Qc/W) where W is the output of the heat engine: and the efficiency of the heat engine: W/Qh to find the ratio of Q4/Q1 in terms of COP and η. Then all you have to do is express the COP and η in terms of temperatures, T1, T2, T3 and T4.

AM

What is this for your heat engine? (i.e. in terms of T1 and T3)
ηcarnot= (T1-T2)/T1 = 1 - T1/T2 Please note that there appears to be a misprint on the diagram. T3 located by Q2 should be (presumably) T2.

COPr = Q4/(Q3-Q4) = T3/(T4-T3)

Looks like I got it sorted. Thanks for your assistance wit this.

Attachments

• Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 495

1. What is a reversible heat pump?

A reversible heat pump is a device that can transfer heat from one location to another using a refrigerant, in order to either heat or cool a space. It can function as both a heater and an air conditioner, depending on the direction of heat transfer.

2. How does a reversible heat pump work?

A reversible heat pump works by using a compressor to circulate a refrigerant between an indoor and outdoor unit. In heating mode, the refrigerant absorbs heat from the outside air and transfers it indoors. In cooling mode, the process is reversed and heat is absorbed from inside and transferred outside.

3. What is the work input in a reversible heat pump?

The work input in a reversible heat pump is the energy required to operate the compressor and circulate the refrigerant. This work input is what powers the transfer of heat from one location to another.

4. How efficient is a reversible heat pump?

A reversible heat pump is generally more efficient than traditional heating and cooling systems, as it only requires electricity to operate the compressor and circulate the refrigerant. The efficiency of a heat pump is measured by its coefficient of performance (COP), which is the ratio of heat output to work input.

5. What are the benefits of using a reversible heat pump?

There are several benefits to using a reversible heat pump, including energy and cost savings, as well as environmental benefits. Heat pumps are more efficient than traditional heating and cooling systems and can help reduce electricity bills. They also use a refrigerant that is less harmful to the environment than other heating and cooling methods.