Revolving trig function around y-axis

In summary, the conversation between the student and the helpers was about finding the volume of a solid by revolving a shaded region about the y-axis using the formula for the volume of a cylinder. The student used u-substitution to solve for the integral and arrived at an answer of 64-16pi. The helpers confirmed that the student's solution was correct and provided their own set of steps to arrive at the same answer. The student then submitted their answer and it was determined to be correct.
metalclay

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/emr1n
01 x= 4tan(pi*y/4) , Find the volume of the solid by revolving shaded region about the y-axis

Homework Equations

tan^2=sec^2 - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up with 64-16pi using u-substitution, not sure if right, want a confirmation. I only have one last attempt on mathlab so really need this to be right, would like to know how you got to whatever the answer is, or if there's a way to check the answer, that would help a lot. Wolfram hasn't been of much help :/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
metalclay said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/emr1n
01 x= 4tan(pi*y/4) , Find the volume of the solid by revolving shaded region about the y-axis

Homework Equations

tan^2=sec^2 - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up with 64-16pi using u-substitution, not sure if right, want a confirmation. I only have one last attempt on mathlab so really need this to be right, would like to know how you got to whatever the answer is, or if there's a way to check the answer, that would help a lot. Wolfram hasn't been of much help :/

Thanks!

What formula did you use for the volume? What was your integral before and after u-substitution? We are forbidden from doing the problem for you, so we cannot show you "...how you got to whatever the answer is".

Ray Vickson said:
What formula did you use for the volume? What was your integral before and after u-substitution? We are forbidden from doing the problem for you, so we cannot show you "...how you got to whatever the answer is".
yeah, sure. It's just that it's kind of long so didn't know if I should post:

http://imgur.com/a/SaVJF

metalclay said:
yeah, sure. It's just that it's kind of long so didn't know if I should post:

http://imgur.com/a/SaVJF
basically the area of a circle by its height dx

substitute the equation f(y) = 4tan (pi*y/4) for r

so r^2 is tan^2 which is (sec^2 - 1)

found the integral by u substituting (pi*y/4) with u

so you can now integrate sec^2 and 1

which gives tan (u) - u

plugged those values in multiplied by the scalars I got from before which were 16*4pi

and after all that, give or take, I got 64-16pi. I'm not sure that's the right answer (it could be) I just only have one more shot on MathLab, and want to get someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in before I submit :/

Thanks!

Last edited:
metalclay said:
basically the area of a circle by its height dx

substitute the equation f(y) = 4tan (pi*y/4) for r

so r^2 is tan^2 which is (sec^2 - 1)

found the integral by u substituting (pi*y/4) with u

so you can now integrate sec^2 and 1

which gives tan (u) - u

plugged those values in multiplied by the scalars I got from before which were 16*4pi

and after all that, give or take, I got 64-16pi. I'm not sure that's the right answer (it could be) I just only have one more shot on MathLab, and want to get someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in before I submit :/

Thanks!
It looks OK.

I get the same result using a somewhat different set of steps.

SammyS said:
It looks OK.

I get the same result using a somewhat different set of steps.
bit the bullet and just clicked "final check" and...*drumroll* it's right!

Ha, thanks guys!

1. What is a revolving trig function around the y-axis?

A revolving trig function around the y-axis is a mathematical concept where a trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, is rotated around the y-axis to create a three-dimensional shape.

2. How is a revolving trig function around the y-axis calculated?

The calculation involves using an integral to find the volume of the three-dimensional shape created by the rotation of the trig function. The specific method used for calculation will depend on the shape of the function being rotated.

3. What is the purpose of revolving a trig function around the y-axis?

Revolving a trig function around the y-axis can be used to model real-world objects and phenomena, such as a rotating wheel or a swinging pendulum. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate volumes and moments of inertia.

4. Can any trig function be revolved around the y-axis?

Yes, any trig function can be rotated around the y-axis as long as it is continuous and bounded. This means it must have a defined range of values and no gaps or breaks in the function.

5. What are the applications of revolving trig functions around the y-axis?

Aside from modeling real-world objects and calculating volumes and moments of inertia, revolving trig functions around the y-axis can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create 3D shapes and animations. It is also an important concept in calculus and advanced mathematics.