Rotation Spectra - Basic transition question

In summary: The problem is, I can't show why ##\Delta E## is independent of ##l##. If it is, then of course for each spontaneous emission it would be of equal energy.Your equation is correct, ##\Delta E## is dependent on ##l##.
unscientific

Homework Statement

In rotations of diatomic molecules such as HCL, the hamiltonian is found to be:

[tex] \hat H = \frac{\hat L^2}{2\mu a^2} [/tex]

where ##\mu## is the reduced mass, a is the separation.

(a) Find the energy levels and separation.

(b) Explain why rotational spectra of HCl due to emission or absorption of electric dipole radiation consists of equally spaced lines. Given spacing ##20.57cm^{-1}##, calculate the separation ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)

[tex]E = \frac{l(l+1)\hbar^2}{2\mu a^2}[/tex]

[tex] \Delta E = E_l - E_{l-1} = \frac{l(l+1) - l(l-1)}{2\mu a^2}\hbar^2 = \frac{l\hbar^2}{\mu a^2}[/tex]

Part (b)

By dipole transition selection rules, ##\Delta l = \pm 1##.

m not sure why it would be equally spaced, since spacing depends on ##l##. I tried letting ##l \rightarrow \infty##, which implies spacing goes to zero as ##l(l+1) − l(l−1) \approx l^2−l^2 = 0##.

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
m not sure why it would be equally spaced, since spacing depends on ##l##.
Imagine that ##\Delta E## was independent of ##l##, how many spectral lines would be present in the rotational spectrum?

Start plotting a rotational spectrum for the ##0 \rightarrow 1##, ##1 \rightarrow 2##, ##2 \rightarrow 3##, etc. You will see clearly the pattern.

DrClaude said:
Imagine that ##\Delta E## was independent of ##l##, how many spectral lines would be present in the rotational spectrum?

Start plotting a rotational spectrum for the ##0 \rightarrow 1##, ##1 \rightarrow 2##, ##2 \rightarrow 3##, etc. You will see clearly the pattern.

The problem is, I can't show why ##\Delta E## is independent of ##l##. If it is, then of course for each spontaneous emission it would be of equal energy.

unscientific said:
The problem is, I can't show why ##\Delta E## is independent of ##l##. If it is, then of course for each spontaneous emission it would be of equal energy.

This statement is false.

I think you need to keep thinking about your result. For example, what does the energy spectrum of your system look like? As a function of l? Maybe try plotting this (as suggested by DrClaude)?

unscientific said:
The problem is, I can't show why ##\Delta E## is independent of ##l##.
Your equation is correct, ##\Delta E## is dependent on ##l##.

My guess is that you are stumbling here because you are not making the right connection between the energy levels and the spectrum.

DrClaude said:

From 1 to 0, I get ## \frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = E_0##.

From 2 to 1, I get ##2E_0##

From 3 to 2, I get ##3E_0##

and so on..

As you can see here, the energy emitted gets bigger and bigger.

But the difference between one emission and the another is constant, ##E_0##.

Does this mean that the spacing is constant?

Using ##\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = 20.57cm^{-1} = 2057 m^{-1}##, where ##\mu \approx m_e##

I get ## a = 4 \times 10^{-21} m ##, which is ridulous.

Last edited:
unscientific said:
But the difference between one emission and the another is constant, ##E_0##.

Does this mean that the spacing is constant?
That indeed means that the spacing is constant. Each line in the spectrum is separated from the next by ##E_0## (think photon energy).

unscientific said:
Using ##\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = 20.57cm^{-1} = 2057 m^{-1}##, where ##\mu \approx m_e##
You have to use the reduced mass of HCl. Also, you will have to convert 20.57 cm-1, which is wavenumbers, into energy.

DrClaude said:
That indeed means that the spacing is constant. Each line in the spectrum is separated from the next by ##E_0## (think photon energy).

You have to use the reduced mass of HCl. Also, you will have to convert 20.57 cm-1, which is wavenumbers, into energy.

Energy of emission is ##\hbar k_l c##.

Thus, ##\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = \hbar c (\Delta k)##. Solving, I get ##a = 3.24 \times 10^{-10} m##.

unscientific said:
Energy of emission is ##\hbar k_l c##.
In spectroscopy, "wavenumbers" mean ##\bar{\nu} = 1 / \lambda##, so the energy of emission is actually ##h c \bar{\nu}##.

unscientific said:
Thus, ##\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = \hbar c (\Delta k)##. Solving, I get ##a = 3.24 \times 10^{-10} m##.
Apart from having used ##\hbar## instead of ##h##, as noted above, your answer is two orders of magnitude too small.

DrClaude said:
In spectroscopy...

Ok, so it should be:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = h c (\Delta \bar \nu)[/tex]

Using that, and ##\Delta \bar \nu = 2057##, I get: ##1.28 \times 10^{-10} m ##

Why is it missing two orders of magnitude? I used ##\mu = \frac{35m_p^2}{35m_p + m_p} \approx m_p##

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Ok, so it should be:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{\mu a^2} = h c (\Delta \bar \nu)[/tex]
For your information, ##\bar\nu## corresponds to the wavenumber of the photon. Therefore, you have ##| \Delta E_{\mathrm{atom}} | = h c \bar{\nu}##, so there is no ##\Delta \bar \nu##. (I put absolute values on ##\Delta E_{\mathrm{atom}}## because it can be negative or positive for emission or absorption.)

unscientific said:
I used ##\mu = \frac{35m_p^2}{35m_p + m_p} \approx m_p##
That's not good enough for spectroscopic work. Normally, the problem should specify which isotope of Cl it is, as you can easily distinguish 35Cl from 37Cl in a rotational spectrum. In the absence of this information, I think you should either choose one isotope or use the average atomic weigth, but you can't use something like ##35 m_p## or the approximation of neglecting the presence of H (you are not comparing a proton with an electron). Look up the exact values (Wolfram Alpha is a good resource).

unscientific said:
Why is it missing two orders of magnitude?
I don't know. Maybe if you list all the constants you are using I can spot the error.

DrClaude said:
For your information, ##\bar\nu## corresponds to the wavenumber of the photon. Therefore, you have ##| \Delta E_{\mathrm{atom}} | = h c \bar{\nu}##, so there is no ##\Delta \bar \nu##. (I put absolute values on ##\Delta E_{\mathrm{atom}}## because it can be negative or positive for emission or absorption.)That's not good enough for spectroscopic work. Normally, the problem should specify which isotope of Cl it is, as you can easily distinguish 35Cl from 37Cl in a rotational spectrum. In the absence of this information, I think you should either choose one isotope or use the average atomic weigth, but you can't use something like ##35 m_p## or the approximation of neglecting the presence of H (you are not comparing a proton with an electron). Look up the exact values (Wolfram Alpha is a good resource).I don't know. Maybe if you list all the constants you are using I can spot the error.

I was asked to use the mass of the isotope 35Cl. Now with ##35m_p## in 35Cl, ##m_p## in H, the reduced mass becomes ##\frac{35m_p^2}{36m_p} \approx m_p##.

I use ##\Delta \bar \nu = \nu_l - \nu_{l-1}## to represent the spacing between emissions.

1. What is rotation spectra?

Rotation spectra is a type of spectroscopy that studies the rotational energy levels of molecules. It involves the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation by molecules as they rotate around their center of mass.

2. How is rotation spectra different from other types of spectroscopy?

Rotation spectra is different from other types of spectroscopy, such as infrared or ultraviolet, because it focuses on the rotational energy levels of molecules rather than their vibrational or electronic energy levels.

3. What is the significance of studying rotation spectra?

Studying rotation spectra can provide information about the structure, shape, and dynamics of molecules. It is also useful in identifying and characterizing molecular compounds in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy.

4. How is rotation spectra measured?

Rotation spectra is measured using specialized instruments, such as a rotational spectrometer, which detects the changes in energy levels of molecules as they rotate. This allows for the determination of the rotational constants and other characteristics of the molecule.

5. What are the applications of rotation spectra?

Rotation spectra has various applications in different fields. In chemistry, it is used for molecular identification and structural analysis. In astronomy, it is used to study the composition and dynamics of interstellar molecules. It also has applications in atmospheric science, material science, and more.