Satellite in Orbit? - Acceleration & Height of Spy Satellite

In summary, to find the height of the satellite above Earth's surface, you can use the equation R^3 = (T^2*G*M)/(4pi^2) where R is the distance between the satellite and Earth, T is the orbital period in seconds, G is the universal gravitation constant, and M is the mass of Earth. To find the satellite's acceleration, you can use the equation a = v^2/R, where v is the velocity of the satellite and R is the distance between the satellite and Earth.
wolly6973
A spy satellite is in circular orbit around Earth. It makes one revolution in 6.04 hours.
(a) How high above Earth's surface is the satellite?
(b) What is the satellite's acceleration?

I really have no idea what to do on this. All of the equations that I have, I cannot solve because I don't have enough info. Anything that anyone can do to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
satellite's centripetal force = gravitational force
mv^2/R = GMm/R^2
v^2 = GM/R
R = GM/v^2
also ...
v = 2pi*R/T

you now have all the necessary data and equations to solve for R.

remember that R is the distance between the satellite's and Earth's respective center of masses, T is the orbital period in seconds, G is the universal gravitation constant, and M is the mass of the earth.

So I get the equation narrowed down to R^3=(T^2*G*M)/(2pi^2). But I can't seem to get it to work out to the correct answer? Did i mess something up?

So I get the equation narrowed down to R^3=(T^2*G*M)/(2pi^2). But I can't seem to get it to work out to the correct answer? Did i mess something up?

For one, the '2' with the 2pi is squared along with the pi (as its written above, it looks like only the pi is squared), so the demoninator should be 4pi^2. The period T should be converted from 6.04 hours to seconds, and to get R, the cube root of the right hand side of the equation must be computed.

Related to Satellite in Orbit? - Acceleration & Height of Spy Satellite

1. How does a satellite maintain its orbit?

A satellite maintains its orbit due to a balance between its forward motion and the gravitational pull of the Earth. This results in a continuous state of free fall, allowing the satellite to stay in orbit without falling back to Earth.

2. How does acceleration affect a satellite's orbit?

Acceleration can impact a satellite's orbit by changing its speed or direction. If a satellite experiences a change in acceleration, it can either speed up or slow down, altering its orbit. For example, if a satellite experiences an increase in acceleration, it can move into a higher orbit, while a decrease in acceleration can cause it to move into a lower orbit.

3. How does the height of a satellite affect its orbit?

The height of a satellite is directly related to its orbit. The higher the satellite is, the longer it takes to complete one orbit around the Earth. This is because the further away a satellite is from Earth, the weaker the Earth's gravitational pull, causing the satellite to move slower in its orbit.

4. Can a satellite's orbit change over time?

Yes, a satellite's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, and external forces applied by humans. These changes can be intentional, such as adjusting the satellite's orbit to avoid collisions or to perform specific tasks, or unintentional, such as natural decay over time.

5. How do scientists calculate the acceleration and height of a spy satellite?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical equations and data collected from the satellite to calculate its acceleration and height. This typically involves measuring the satellite's speed, distance from the Earth, and the forces acting upon it. Advanced technologies such as radar and telescopes can also assist in accurately determining a satellite's orbit and position.