School project - create reflective device from waste material

In summary, the conversation focuses on a project to create a reflective device or material for street vendors and beggars in a country where they are not easily seen by oncoming traffic at night. The aim is to use easily accessible materials like waste and take away containers to create a mechanism that these individuals can assemble themselves. The conversation also includes suggestions for materials such as aluminum foil, broken taillight lenses, and glitter, as well as considerations for safety and practicality. The participants in the conversation express interest and offer to continue thinking about the project.
Cara P
I am in process of doing a project for school. The basic aim of the project is to address the following issue. I live in a country where we have a lot of street vendors and beggars that stand in the street at night and as a result are not visible to oncoming traffic. i would like to create a reflective device/material from easily accessible materials like waste, take away containers, glass, etc. the idea being that it can be made or assembled by these particular street vendors, they are very poor and will not be able to purchase anything but if i could come up with a mechanism that they could put certain things together which would then be reflective then they could be self sufficient. i will develop an easy to read insrtuction manual.
so the help i need is to figure out how to construct this device/material. some ideas : use the bottom of coloured glass bottles, incorporate foil from take away containers...
i am at a bit of a loss as someone who did promise to help me has not done so
so anybody out there got any ideas...

Physics news on Phys.org
What's practical depends to a huge degree upon both the skill levels of the people involved and the tools available to them. I'm guessing that a beggar is probably homeless and has at most a knife and something to use as a hammer. Vendors can probably afford more sophisticated stuff (such as part of their inventory).
Point one is that the product should not only help to keep them safe, but be safe to create. Glass could pose a hazard in that regard. For both reflectance and ease of manipulation, it's hard to go wrong with aluminum foil. Also, the stuff never goes away so you'd be doing your town a favour by getting it out of the garbage. You can even coat it with a transparent paint such as nail polish to change the colour at only a slight cost to the reflectance.

Thanks Danger
Got any ideas of how to make the foil even more reflective by using some materials that a street beggar might be able to get hold off. Some takeaway sauces mixed with something else might work...? What do you think

Foil is pretty much either shiny or not shiny; I don't think that you can change it. Polishing would probably just make it dull. I have my doubts about any sort of food product such as sauces for colourizing. Stabilizing it so it doesn't just go rotten probably can't be done, and I've never seen any that are particularly shiny. (Besides, would a beggar actually work with something like that or just eat it?)
Knowing nothing about your culture isn't helping me any. Since you're concerned about traffic, I assume that you also have some sort of automotive scrapyards. Broken or discarded taillight and turn-signal lenses would work, and especially non-electric side markers.
Another thought is that if you have craft (art) shops, maybe some of your subjects could afford to buy a package of "glitter", like you use to make greeting cards, and some glue.
Broken bicycle reflectors as are used on pedals and rear fenders will work great as well. I don't know about your area, but I'm always finding the stupid things lying around my neighbourhood.
I'll keep thinking on it.

edit: I didn't mention this specifically because I think of it as foil, but in case you don't I'll point out that a potato chip bag is incredibly reflective on the inside. It's actually a form of mylar, the same as they use for party balloons. (Oh, hey... maybe you can get people to donate broken or simply deflated balloons.)

Last edited:
Thanks Danger
I will think all this through and come up with a way forward
Appreciate your input

Cara P said:
Appreciate your input
No worries. Please keep me informed of what happens, either through this thread or by PM. I'm very interested, and it sounds like a worthwhile project.

1. What is a reflective device made from waste material?

A reflective device made from waste material is a tool that reflects light in a specific direction or pattern. It can be used for various purposes, such as increasing visibility or creating artistic effects.

2. What types of waste material can be used to create a reflective device?

There are many types of waste materials that can be used, such as aluminum cans, plastic bottles, CDs, and even old mirrors. The key is to find materials that are reflective and can be easily manipulated into the desired shape.

3. How do you make a reflective device from waste material?

To make a reflective device, you will first need to gather your waste materials and clean them thoroughly. Then, you can cut or shape the materials into the desired shape and attach them together using glue or tape. Finally, you can add any additional features, such as strings or hooks, to make it easier to hang or attach the device.

4. What are the benefits of using waste material to create a reflective device?

Creating a reflective device from waste material is a great way to repurpose items that would otherwise end up in landfills. It also promotes sustainability and reduces waste. Additionally, it can be a fun and creative project that can save you money compared to buying a reflective device from a store.

5. How can a reflective device made from waste material be used?

A reflective device made from waste material can be used in a variety of ways. It can be used for safety purposes, such as attaching it to a bike or backpack for increased visibility. It can also be used for artistic purposes, such as creating interesting light patterns for photography or decorations. The possibilities are endless, and it all depends on your imagination and the materials you have available.