Schools Accepting Engineering Tech for MS in Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a Bachelor's degree in engineering technology as a stepping stone to a Master's program in engineering. The participants share their doubts about the feasibility of this and mention that it may be necessary to supplement the engineering tech degree with additional coursework in physics and math in order to be accepted into a Master's program. They also mention that the depth of theoretical coursework in engineering tech may vary by country.
Hi all, I have been curious about this for a while. I know that some schools do not accept a bachelors in engineering technology for into a Master's Program of Engineering. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there are schools that do?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i really doubt it, at a minimum i would think you would have to get a minor in physics to learn the calculus and physics minimum to even understand harder engineering coursework. at my school engineering tech only requires applied calc, which is a joke compared to the calc sequence, they only do simple polynomial calculus.

462chevelle said:
i really doubt it, at a minimum i would think you would have to get a minor in physics to learn the calculus and physics minimum to even understand harder engineering coursework. at my school engineering tech only requires applied calc, which is a joke compared to the calc sequence, they only do simple polynomial calculus.

At my school, the theoretical coursework for a bachelors in engineering tech is far more in depth and not all that far off from a normal engineering degree

If you have to take the calculus sequence, diff eq, phys1-2, thermo, e and m, fluid mechanics, static, etc. Then it might be possible, but no one will know until you try. At my school the tech degree is more applied engineering, if that makes sense. You do less math, and more hands on work.

This sounds like something very country dependent.

Related to Schools Accepting Engineering Tech for MS in Engineering?

1. What is the difference between engineering technology and engineering?

Engineering technology focuses on the application and implementation of engineering principles, while engineering focuses on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of these principles. Engineering technology programs often have a more hands-on and practical approach, while engineering programs have a more theoretical and research-based focus.

2. What types of engineering technology degrees are typically accepted for MS in engineering programs?

Most MS in engineering programs accept engineering technology degrees in areas such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and computer engineering technology. However, acceptance criteria may vary among schools, so it is important to check with the specific program you are interested in.

3. Can I pursue an MS in engineering with an engineering technology degree from a community college?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MS in engineering with an engineering technology degree from a community college. However, you may be required to take additional courses to fulfill any prerequisite requirements for the program. It is important to research and confirm the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

4. Are there any additional qualifications or requirements for engineering technology students to be accepted into an MS in engineering program?

In addition to holding a bachelor's degree in engineering technology, most MS in engineering programs require students to have a strong academic background and a competitive GRE score. Some programs may also require relevant work experience and letters of recommendation.

5. Can I switch from an engineering technology program to an engineering program for my MS degree?

It is possible to switch from an engineering technology program to an engineering program for your MS degree, but it may depend on the specific program and school. Some schools may have specific transfer requirements and you may be required to take additional courses to fulfill any prerequisite requirements. It is important to check with the program you are interested in for their policies on transferring from an engineering technology program.