Schouten identity resembles Jacobi identity

In summary, Schouten and Jacobi discuss the resemblance between two identities: <p q> <r s> +<p r> <s q>+ <p s > <q r> =0 and [A,[B,C]]+[C,[A,B]]+[B,[C,A]]=0. They note that the variable p occurs in all terms of both identities and consider the algebraic structures they are used in. This observation is related to the BCJ duality conjecture. Schouten also mentions investigating this connection further.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Am I the only one who sees the resemblance between these two identities?

Schouten:

<p q> <r s> +<p r> <s q>+ <p s > <q r> =0

Jacobi:

[A,[B,C]]+[C,[A,B]]+[B,[C,A]]=0

In Schouten the p occours in each term in the three terms, so we can regard it as dumby variable, and somehow get a correspondence between these two identities, or the algebraic structures that each identity is used in.

Am I being a cranck here? it's not my intention, as always, just trying to understand.

P.S
I am not sure I understand the proof of Schouten's identity in Srednicki's, I'll try to reread it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a dream or a thought about your work; any new progress on your work?

Well, for one thing, I'm investigating how it relates to BCJ duality.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the Schouten identity?

The Schouten identity, also known as the Schouten–Nijenhuis bracket, is a mathematical concept in the field of differential geometry. It is a generalization of the Lie bracket for vector fields to higher-order tensors. In simpler terms, it is a way to combine two tensors of different orders to create a new tensor.

2. How does the Schouten identity relate to the Jacobi identity?

The Schouten identity resembles the Jacobi identity in that they both involve brackets and satisfy certain properties. The Schouten identity can be seen as a generalization of the Jacobi identity for higher-order tensors. Just like the Jacobi identity, the Schouten identity is a fundamental tool in the study of Lie algebras and their applications.

3. What are the properties of the Schouten identity?

The Schouten identity has three main properties: skew-symmetry, Leibniz rule, and the Jacobi identity. These properties ensure that the Schouten identity is well-defined and behaves similarly to the Jacobi identity. These properties are crucial in various applications of the Schouten identity, such as in differential geometry and physics.

4. How is the Schouten identity used in differential geometry?

The Schouten identity is an essential tool in differential geometry, particularly in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras. It is used to define the structure of Lie algebras, which are fundamental objects in the study of symmetries and transformations in differential geometry. The Schouten identity is also used in the theory of connections and curvature in Riemannian geometry.

5. Can the Schouten identity be applied in other fields of science?

Yes, the Schouten identity has applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. In physics, it is used in the study of gauge theories and in the formulation of the Dirac equation. In engineering, it is used in the study of elasticity and fluid dynamics. In computer science, it is used in the development of algorithms for data compression and pattern recognition.