Second bachelor degree in engineering

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to pursue a second bachelor's degree in engineering after already having a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. They mention personal issues that affected their GPA during their first degree and are considering pursuing a second degree in electrical or mechanical engineering in Canada. They are asking for advice on how to improve their chances of being accepted into a master's program and changing their specialization.
Walker888
Is it possible for any student having a bachelor's degree in engineering to pursue a second bachelor's degree in another branch of engineering?

I got my first bachelor degree in chemical engineering (from Africa, low gpa for personal issues at that time). I was traying to get into master program but no luck so far with my low gpa. I was thinking in doing a second bachelor degree in electrical or mechanical engineering ( in Canada, where I live now). What do you guys think?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Walker888 said:
Is it possible for any student having a bachelor's degree in engineering to pursue a second bachelor's degree in another branch of engineering?
You'll have to ask the universities. Probably.

Walker888 said:

I got my first bachelor degree in chemical engineering (from Africa, low gpa for personal issues at that time). I was traying to get into master program but no luck so far with my low gpa. I was thinking in doing a second bachelor degree in electrical or mechanical engineering ( in Canada, where I live now). What do you guys think?

Thanks
Maybe you can take a few classes (preferably in engineering-related areas, of course) now get good grades , which would show any school that you have gotten it together after your mistakes. This sort of story sells well in many places. Highlight how you have overcome hardships and did not let them get in your way. And be ready to explain why you are changing your area of specialization , in case someone ask. Have a thoughtful, honest answer for it.

What is a second bachelor degree in engineering?

A second bachelor degree in engineering is an undergraduate degree program that allows individuals who have already earned a bachelor's degree in a different field to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering. This allows individuals to gain additional knowledge and skills in the engineering field.

What are the benefits of pursuing a second bachelor degree in engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a second bachelor degree in engineering, including expanding your knowledge and skills in the engineering field, increasing your job opportunities, and potentially increasing your salary.

Can I pursue a second bachelor degree in engineering if my first degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities and colleges offer second bachelor degree programs in engineering specifically designed for individuals with a different undergraduate degree. However, it is important to check with the specific institution for their admission requirements and prerequisites.

How long does it take to complete a second bachelor degree in engineering?

The duration of a second bachelor degree in engineering varies depending on the institution and the program. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete, but it can take longer if you are studying part-time or if your previous degree does not have many transferable credits.

Is it possible to work while pursuing a second bachelor degree in engineering?

Yes, many students work while completing their second bachelor degree in engineering. Some programs even offer flexible schedules or online options to accommodate working professionals. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitment of the program before taking on additional work.