Self-Taught Calculus based Physics ?

In summary: Good luck with your studies!In summary, a student is starting their junior year of high school and just transferred to an IB diploma program. They have a strong background in calculus and their teacher has suggested they teach themselves the AP Physics C curriculum. The student is asking for book recommendations and is willing to trade with their local library. Some suggestions include "University Physics with Modern Physics" and "Fundamentals of Physics" as well as the free resource, OpenStax College Physics.
theJorge551
Hello all, I'm going into my junior year of high school and have just begun my IB diploma program. I just transferred from a public school, where I had taken AP Physics B during my sophomore year...

The IB Physics class here is non-calculus based, and is basically the exact same thing as the class I just took (plus or minus a few extraneous, minor chapters). I told this to my current teacher, and looking at how well I did in my previous class, basically told me that I can do whatever I wish in class, and because I taught myself a fair amount of calculus over the summer, suggested that I teach myself the AP Physics C curriculum. My question to the forum is, what suggestions for books do you have for a junior teaching himself calculus based physics? I have a limited amount of resources because it's currently refined to what my teacher owns, but I'll get a list of the texts he has on here. If there are better books, let me know and I can set up a trade situation with the local library.

Thanks in advance!

-Jorge

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for books to teach yourself calculus based physics, I recommend "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. Both books cover the same topics but in different ways and both provide plenty of practice problems. Additionally, the OpenStax College Physics text is a great free resource for learning introductory calculus-based physics.

Related to Self-Taught Calculus based Physics ?

1. What is self-taught calculus based physics?

Self-taught calculus based physics is a method of learning physics that involves using calculus to solve problems and understand concepts. It is typically self-directed and does not involve formal instruction from a teacher or textbook.

2. Is it possible to learn calculus based physics without taking a formal course?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus based physics without taking a formal course. Many resources, such as online tutorials, textbooks, and practice problems, are available to help individuals learn this subject on their own.

3. How important is a strong understanding of calculus for learning physics?

A strong understanding of calculus is essential for learning physics, as it is used to solve complex equations and understand the relationships between variables in many physics concepts. Without a solid grasp of calculus, it may be difficult to fully understand and apply the principles of physics.

4. Can self-taught calculus based physics be as effective as taking a formal course?

It is possible for self-taught calculus based physics to be just as effective as taking a formal course, as long as the individual is motivated and dedicated to learning the material. However, taking a formal course may provide more structure and guidance, as well as opportunities for hands-on experiments and demonstrations.

5. Are there any tips for successfully learning self-taught calculus based physics?

Some tips for successfully learning self-taught calculus based physics include setting a schedule for studying and practicing regularly, seeking out resources such as textbooks and online tutorials, and seeking help from others when needed. It is also important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before diving into calculus based physics.