Semiconductor physics: Resistivity,mobility and concentration.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of intrinsic hole and electron concentrations in a sample of pure silicon at 300 Kelvin with a resistivity of 950Ωm and a 3:1 ratio of electron-to-hole mobility. By rearranging the equation for conductivity, the concentrations can be solved for using the given mobilities of electrons and holes. The final result is that the concentrations are equal and have a value of 4.118x1016.
Aerozeppelin

Homework Statement

If a sample of pure silicon at 300 Kelvin has a resistivity of 950Ωm, and if the electron-to-hole mobility ration is 3:1, with the electron mobility equal to 0.12m2V-1s-1, what are the intrinsic hole and electron concentrations?

Homework Equations

I know resistivity is equal to
[itex]\frac{ρL}{A}[/itex]. But I don't think this is applicable. I cannot find any equations in books or on the internet connecting these properties (concentration, mobility and resistivity).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well considering the ratio of electron to hole mobility is 3:1, I presume that the hole mobility is 0.04m2V-1s-1 (ie. electron mobility divided by 3). After that, I'm completely lost!
Any help would be appriciated! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to write the conductivity of the silicon (inverse of the resistivity) in terms of the concentration of carriers and their mobility. If you haven't learned this, Google it.

Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Thanks a million.

Here's my answer if anyone wants it.

σ=[itex]\frac{1}{ρ}[/itex]

1.053x10-3 = q (nμn + pμp)
Where:

q is the charge of an electron.
μn is the mobility of electron. = 0.12
And μp is the mobility of holes. = 0.04

To solve for concentrations (n and p),

Rearranging,

0.12n + 0.04p = 6.579x1015

N = P in intrinsic.

∴ 0.16n = 6.579x1015

& p = n = 4.118x1016

Looks good, I think you did it all correctly. However, there are no units on the answer. I always take off points for a number with no units.

You are on the right track in calculating the hole mobility based on the given ratio with electron mobility. The next step would be to use the relationship between resistivity, mobility, and concentration in a semiconductor. The formula is as follows:

ρ = 1/qμnN + 1/qμpP

Where ρ is the resistivity, q is the elementary charge, μn and μp are the electron and hole mobilities respectively, and N and P are the electron and hole concentrations.

Since we know the resistivity, electron mobility, and the ratio of electron to hole mobility, we can solve for the intrinsic hole concentration (P) using the above equation. Once we have P, we can then use the given ratio again to calculate the intrinsic electron concentration (N).

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always check your units and use the appropriate values for the constants. Good luck!

1. What is semiconductor physics?

Semiconductor physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of materials known as semiconductors. These materials have electrical conductivity between that of conductors (such as metals) and insulators (such as rubber) and are widely used in electronic devices.

2. What is resistivity in semiconductor physics?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. In semiconductor physics, it refers to the resistance of a material to the flow of electrons, which is dependent on the material's properties such as temperature, impurities, and crystal structure.

3. How is resistivity calculated in semiconductor physics?

Resistivity is calculated by dividing the material's resistance by its cross-sectional area and length. In semiconductor physics, resistivity is also influenced by factors such as the type and concentration of impurities present in the material.

4. What is mobility in semiconductor physics?

Mobility is a measure of how easily electrons can move through a material under the influence of an electric field. In semiconductor physics, it is an important factor in determining the material's conductivity and is affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and crystal structure.

5. How is concentration of carriers determined in semiconductor physics?

The concentration of carriers (electrons or holes) in a semiconductor material is determined by various methods such as Hall effect measurements, capacitance-voltage measurements, and current-voltage measurements. These methods allow for the determination of the number of carriers present in the material at different temperatures and under different conditions.