Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: In summary, this conversation consisted of various links to funny and cute animal pictures and gifs. The conversation also touched on the dangers of raising wild animals, the importance of having a sense of humor in certain areas of the forum, and an amusing owl meme.
  • #1,961
A cool looking fish:

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.18.44 AM.png

• Wow
  • Love
Likes DennisN, collinsmark, strangerep and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,964
Ibix said:
Yeah. What is it?
JWST sunshield test fish.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Borg, berkeman and 3 others
  • #1,965
Gotta ask the tough questions sometimes.

spider pants.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Ibix and BillTre
  • #1,966
Drakkith said:
Gotta ask the tough questions sometimes.
[If a spider wore pants...]
No 1: A tradie spider (Buttkraqus Offensicus).
No 2: A (reasonably) respectable gentleman spider with trousers + bare chest.
No 3: A typical female infuencer on Instagram. (Gluteus Maximus Showofficus.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, Drakkith and BillTre
  • #1,967
A jackdaw couple I got on photo today:
51101824846_bdb8334967_c.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Klystron, Drakkith and 1 other person
  • #1,968
Several species of humming birds flew top cover this morning over the swimming pools, hunting tiny flying insects. An Anna's hummingbird couple hovered around a grackle couple building a nest in a palm tree, seeking small bugs disturbed by the nest building. The hummers nest high in an ash tree. Also saw unpaired robins who appear unafraid of the grackles but keep apart. Have not spotted finches yet.

Hummingbirds seem to fear nothing despite their small size; predators that they are.

Likes berkeman and DennisN
  • #1,969
Klystron said:
Several species of humming birds flew top cover this morning over the swimming pools
I think humming birds are very cool and beautiful animals. I've never seen one in real life.

• Sad
  • Love
Likes Klystron and Drakkith
  • #1,970
Klystron said:
robins
Edit: I think this is a Junco, not a robin.
P1020430.JPG

and Oregon Juncos
P1020431.JPG

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, collinsmark, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,971
Klystron said:
Several species of humming birds flew top cover this morning over the swimming pools, hunting tiny flying insects. An Anna's hummingbird couple hovered around a grackle couple building a nest in a palm tree, seeking small bugs disturbed by the nest building. The hummers nest high in an ash tree. Also saw unpaired robins who appear unafraid of the grackles but keep apart. Have not spotted finches yet.

Hummingbirds seem to fear nothing despite their small size; predators that they are.

I had to look this up since I was only aware of humming birds as nectar eaters.
But yes, they eat insects too (wiki link here)!

Other interesting humming bird factoids:
they are small, but can migrate very long distances.
Hummingbirds split from their sister group, the swifts and treeswifts, around 42 million years ago. The common ancestor of extant hummingbirds is estimated to have lived 22 million years ago.
Most male hummingbirds attract a female with their rather feeble song. In a few species the males perform complex aerial displays.
Showing off they flying abilities for selection among by the females I guess.
Hummingbirds have the highest mass-specific metabolic rate of any homeothermic animal.[3] To conserve energy when food is scarce and nightly when not foraging, they can go into torpor, a state similar to hibernation, and slow their metabolic rate to 1/15 of its normal rate.[4]
Due to their small size they are occasionally prey of spiders and insects, particularly praying mantises.[79][80]

Several interesting biophysical features are discussed in the Wikipedia article.

Humming birds are in many places, without a lot people knowing about them.
They are most easily seen around humming bird feeders and around certain flowering plants which they like.
You could find out and buy humming bird stuff (and plants) at places like garden shops that have bird feeder things.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #1,973
BillTre said:
I had to look this up since I was only aware of humming birds as nectar eaters.
But yes, they eat insects too (wiki link here)!
Yeah, I had no idea about that either until I saw the post here. My wife loves her hummingbird feeder on our deck, and even has a "Hummingbird Cam" WiFi camera watching it. :smile:

Likes Klystron, DennisN, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,975
Likes Klystron, Drakkith and BillTre
  • #1,976
DennisN said:
Superb photos. I really liked this one:

Swallow, Lincolnshire, UK, by David White
Yeah, I was wondering if it was his grandfather who opened that window in the first place... :smile:

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #1,977
DennisN said:
I think humming birds are very cool and beautiful animals. I've never seen one in real life.
I remember I ordered a photo print of one many years ago because they can be so beautiful.
I think it was this gorgeous photo (look at the colors! :))):

1200px-Colibri-thalassinus-001-edit.jpg

Green Violet-ear by Mdf, Edited by Laitche , licenced under Creative Commons on Wikipedia.There are many other nice photos of humming birds here on the Wikipedia page and on Wikimedia.Here is another great one, again, look at the colors! :)):

1200px-Fiery-throated_Hummingbird.jpg

A Costa Rican hummingbird by Joseph C Boone, licensed under Creative Commons on Wikipedia.

• Love
Likes phinds, Klystron and BillTre
  • #1,978
Thanks for all the great bird information, especially the beautiful hummingbirds. I attest to the veracity of observed hummingbird behaviour.

Migration:
My old house had a large backyard situated over natural springs (las vegas). Local parks featured arroyos packed with mammoth, bison, sloth and myriad bird fossils. Several drought tolerant southwestern trees and plants grew in the yard, creating a cool microclimate under migratory bird routes. I installed and maintained bird seed feeders, water sources and hummingbird sugar-water feeders marked with bright red sun screens.

Many exotic birds visited my yard in season; mostly unseen aside from stunning specimens such as goldfinches and extremely tiny hummingbirds barely larger than bumblebees who compete with bees for flowering nectars.

Easter Sunday six years ago I was misting plants with a hose while phoning my sisters in California. I felt a rumble in my chest similar to the whomp-whomp sound of an approaching helicopter. I looked up to observe a dull brown hummingbird hovering less than a meter away savoring the water. We locked eyes; mine blue behind brown lenses, her's a deep shimmering black reflecting my image. We regarded each other for what seemed like minutes; her hovering nearly motionless in the still morning.

Dull green plumage among the predominant dark browns accented her elongated body and nearly invisible vibrating wings. Head to tail feathers she matched the length and shape of my forearm. I had read about the empress hummingbird but never expected to meet the goddess in my backyard. She hummed and shifted frequencies; I fancied thanking me for the water on her long journey back home. I attempted to hum and sing a reply, stunned by the intelligence behind her dark eyes.

She sampled a last sip of airborne water then rapidly departed accompanied by a deep thrumming sound. I will always savor our encounter.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes BillTre, Keith_McClary, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #1,979
Cooper's Hawk looking for the Junco it chased against my window. The Junco was on the ground (knocked out?) right below, and escaped after the Cooper's left.
S6300489.JPG

• Love
Likes Klystron, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,980
Baby sting rays:
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.54.07 AM.png

• Love
  • Informative
Likes phinds, collinsmark, Borg and 4 others
  • #1,981
An insect "hiding":

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.07.02 AM.png

The black spots are the pseudo-pupils of the compound eyes. It is the ommatidia (individual eye units of the compound eye) where you are looking down the tube of the ommatidia (they lookk black). The ommatidia are radially arrayed in the compound eye.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes phinds, collinsmark, Keith_McClary and 3 others
  • #1,982
BillTre said:
An insect "hiding":

View attachment 281436

The black spots are the pseudo-pupils of the compound eyes. It is the ommatidia (individual eye units of the compound eye) where you are looking down the tube of the ommatidia (they lookk black). The ommatidia are radially arrayed in the compound eye.
Wait... so its eyes would seem to follow you round the room?

Likes BillTre
  • #1,983
Ibix said:
Wait... so its eyes would seem to follow you round the room?
Yes.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,984
The King and Queen of the park:
(taken yesterday)

51119815767_d5f54f41bd_c.jpg

Likes hmmm27, BillTre and collinsmark
  • #1,985
Today I was out testing a new lens for the first time (a vintage Canon FD 50 mm f/1.8 from the 1970s),
and a male mallard unexpectedly decided to pose as a model for me, so I just had to take a photo of it:

51133233425_cc4d0105ac_c.jpg

Likes strangerep, collinsmark, berkeman and 2 others
  • #1,987
A pigeon in the city.
(Even comparatively calm pigeons can be a bit tricky to photograph when you have to use manual focusing as I did here with a vintage Canon FD lens. I took 15 photos and I think this one turned out best, though the focus could be better. A lesson learned for the next time :smile:.)

51138463373_95c01f19a8_c.jpg

Sleeping animals are much easier to photograph, as this pigeon sleeping in a tree, also taken with a manual Canon FD lens:

51142905770_f2c35034b3_c.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #1,988
Some weird a$$ fish:
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 12.28.17 PM.png

The Phantom Anglerfish (Haplophryne mollis) belongs to a group of anglerfish known as the "Ghostly Seadevils."

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,989
BillTre said:
The Phantom Anglerfish (Haplophryne mollis) belongs to a group of anglerfish known as the "Ghostly Seadevils."

Anglerfish are very cool.

By the way, @BillTre , if I remember correctly you've also taken your own photos of fish.
You don't have any photos you'd like to share here?
I would be interested in seeing them. :smile:

Likes BillTre
  • #1,990
DennisN said:
Anglerfish are very cool.

By the way, @BillTre , if I remember correctly you've also taken your own photos of fish.
You don't have any photos you'd like to share here?
I would be interested in seeing them. :smile:

OK. Here are some pictures:

My fish studio, I lower a bright flash down on the copy stand to a few inches about the little tank:
P1060352.JPG

I do it in the dark (reduces reflections).

Zebrafish (Danio rerio), the research animal about 2-3" long usually:
original #1.jpg

The fine black spots are single pigment cells. They are larger and flat.

Some fairly close zebrafish relatives (Danio kyathit, female on top), shot in a tank not the studio:
IMG_1318.jpeg

Danio kyathit, spotted variety (a variety from a different location):
spotted Danio kyathit.jpg

Danio Choprae (a bit smaller than a zebrafish, more distantly related):
Danio choprae.jpg

Danionella translucida, within a few mm's of being the smallest freshwater fish (photo through a research compound microscope) black round thing to left is eye, brain is grey-white blob above and to right of eye, gills and blood vessels below brain, spinal cord extends to right from back of brain:
FH000012.jpg

One of the ~15 isles in one of the U of O fishrooms:
P1010004_13.JPG

Likes collinsmark, berkeman and DennisN
  • #1,991
BillTre said:
OK. Here are some pictures:
Thanks for sharing! :smile:
Nice fish!

BillTre said:
One of the ~15 isles in one of the U of O fishrooms:
All of those small containers (I don't know what they are called), are they for breeding or keeping fish, or both, perhaps?

• #1,992
Mr. Tre,

Dr. Axelrod developed a wonderful technique for photographing small live fish.

Your setup is halfway there. An acrylic vessel eight by eight inches and 3/4 of an inch deep, (front to back), with a black backing. Fish can swim up and down, but still stay in the focal plane of the camera.
Your average plastics shop can make one in a hour.

Have you seen non-albino pearl danios? I think they're the prettiest of the lot.

I have to differentiate between them because locally some wholesaler got stuck with a massive load of the albino variety, while seeking to purchase the regular ones, and they were the only ones available for years.

Chicanery is very common in fish wholesalers I've found.

• #1,993
Also...
I can just look at that bottom picture and I already know what that room smells like. :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #1,994
DennisN said:
All of those small containers (I don't know what they are called), are they for breeding or keeping fish, or both, perhaps?
Each can keep/raise about 20 zebrafish. The rack provides the infrastructure for each tank (water, air, return water flow to filter). The tanks are about 1 gallon. There are smaller tanks (~1 Liter) for raising young fish and other 1 liter tanks in which the fish can be crossed and eggs collected. We would get about 1 million eggs/year.

BigDon said:
Dr. Axelrod developed a wonderful technique for photographing small live fish.

Your setup is halfway there. An acrylic vessel eight by eight inches and 3/4 of an inch deep, (front to back), with a black backing. Fish can swim up and down, but still stay in the focal plane of the camera.
Your average plastics shop can make one in a hour.
My set-up is a variant of his, which is well known. I have a little book on it that he made.
Because the tank is deeper (front to back) I can get photos of the fish doing more natural turns, which I like.

BigDon said:
Have you seen non-albino pearl danios? I think they're the prettiest of the lot.
There are now about 3 species of pearl danios recognized, with slight differences in coloration. Many new Danios have been identified in the last twenty years. (Its a Danio-fest!).

Here's a pearl danio:
Blue or pearl danio.jpg

They have a lot of iridescence.

Here are a couple of Danio feegradei, which are pretty:
Danio feegradei.jpg

I have found several pigmentation mutations which are not in commercial demand, but have found homes in the lab of a friend who studies pigmentation in zebrafish.
Here s one with fewer black pigmentation cells and lots more iridophores (reflecting pigment cells):
D.rerio, emerald1.jpg

The iridophores on the curved surface of the fish can produce a rainbow pattern of iridescence due to the differing pattern of interference:
irridescence overlay.jpg

BigDon said:
Chicanery is very common in fish wholesalers I've found.
They often don't know much about the obscure fish they have
I hate the hobbyist names they are often less than worthless.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,995
BigDon said:
Also...
I can just look at that bottom picture and I already know what that room smells like. :wink:
Actually, it didn't smell bad. Filtration kept the water good and we had a great HVAC system.