Short circuit confusion, when is the resistance 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel and series circuits and how to find the Thevenin resistance. The question arises about why R1 does not become zero when the circuit is short-circuited, and it is explained that R1 is in parallel with the short. The person is advised to review the fundamentals of series and parallel circuits before attempting any circuit problems.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm going exercises and I understand that if the circuit is short circuited that R=10 ohm is 0. (Trying to find Thevelin R in all of these btw)
upload_2017-12-7_22-18-11.png

But then I ran across this one where when it's short circuited, isc is found using the current divider principle and it's R1/(R1+r2), why doesn't R1 turn to zero?

upload_2017-12-7_22-18-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-7_22-18-11.png
    upload_2017-12-7_22-18-11.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,713
  • upload_2017-12-7_22-18-44.png
    upload_2017-12-7_22-18-44.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 590
  • upload_2017-12-7_22-18-58.png
    upload_2017-12-7_22-18-58.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 734
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
But then I ran across this one where when it's short circuited, isc is found using the current divider principle and it's R1/(R1+r2), why doesn't R1 turn to zero?
Is R1 in parallel with the short?

phinds said:
Is R1 in parallel with the short?
Yes...? If there's a resistor in between does that make them stop being in parallel?

Frankenstein19 said:
Yes...? If there's a resistor in between does that make them stop being in parallel?
I suggest that you go back and study over and over the fundamentals of series and parallel. You HAVE to get that totally straight before trying ANY circuit problems and you have some confusion.

Frankenstein19 said:
Yes. If you can't follow a closed path passing through the two components that does not have to pass through any other component along the way, then they are not parallel-connected. Put another way, if two components are parallel-connected, then you can draw a closed path that passes only through that pair of components.

upload_2017-12-8_10-24-10.png

upload_2017-12-8_10-24-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-8_10-24-10.png
    upload_2017-12-8_10-24-10.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • upload_2017-12-8_10-24-41.png
    upload_2017-12-8_10-24-41.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 541

1. What exactly is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when two points in an electrical circuit that are not meant to be connected come into contact, resulting in a sudden decrease in resistance and a large flow of current.

2. What is resistance and how does it relate to short circuits?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. In a short circuit, the resistance drops to almost zero, allowing a large amount of current to flow through the circuit.

3. Can short circuits be dangerous?

Yes, short circuits can be very dangerous. The sudden surge of current can overload wires, cause fires, and damage electrical devices. It can also pose a risk of electrocution to anyone who comes into contact with the circuit.

4. How can I prevent short circuits from happening?

There are several steps you can take to prevent short circuits. These include using properly rated and insulated wires, avoiding overloading circuits, and regularly checking for damaged or frayed wires. It is also important to have a circuit breaker or fuse to protect against excessive current flow.

5. When is the resistance in a short circuit considered to be 0?

In a perfect short circuit, the resistance would be 0. However, in practical terms, there is always some amount of resistance present, even in a short circuit. This is due to the resistance of the wire itself and the imperfections in the connection between the two points.