Should I Be Concerned About a Cut That Won't Heal?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Delta2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wound
In summary, a wound may not heal due to various reasons such as infection, poor blood supply, underlying health conditions, and external factors. The healing time for a wound varies depending on its size and complexity. Signs of improper healing include persistent pain, redness, swelling, and lack of progress. However, a wound that doesn't heal can be treated by addressing the underlying cause and proper wound care. To prevent a wound from becoming chronic, it is important to maintain proper wound care and address any underlying health conditions.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The blood stops running but the wound doesn't heal
I 've a cut in my finger that is there for now over 1 week. The blood stops running but when i wash my hand the blood starts running again , then it stops running till i wash my hands again and so on. It seems that the wound just doesn't heal. Should I worry about this and visit a doctor or it is something that has a simple cause (lack of vitamins perhaps?),

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, you should see a doctor.

Thread closed, as we don't give medical advice.

Likes jim mcnamara and Astronuc

1. What causes a wound to not heal?

There are several factors that can contribute to a wound not healing, including underlying health conditions like diabetes or an impaired immune system, inadequate blood supply to the wound, infection, and certain medications.

2. How long does it take for a wound to heal?

The length of time it takes for a wound to heal can vary depending on the severity and location of the wound, as well as individual factors such as age and overall health. In general, most wounds take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to heal.

3. What are some signs that a wound is not healing properly?

If a wound does not show signs of improvement within 2 weeks, or if it becomes increasingly painful, red, swollen, or emits a foul odor, it may be a sign that the wound is not healing properly. It is important to seek medical attention if you notice any of these symptoms.

4. How can a wound be treated to promote healing?

The best way to promote wound healing is to keep the wound clean and moist. This can be achieved through regular cleaning and dressing changes, as well as using topical ointments or dressings specifically designed for wound healing. In some cases, a doctor may also prescribe antibiotics or other medications to help with the healing process.

5. Can a wound that doesn't heal lead to other complications?

Yes, a wound that doesn't heal can lead to other complications such as infection, scarring, and even tissue or bone damage. It is important to seek medical attention if a wound is not healing properly to prevent these potential complications.