Should I retake the GRE? 450/800

• Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre Retake
In summary, the speaker is considering applying to a mechanical engineering master's program at a reputable university, preferably Penn State, Stanford, MIT, or CalTech. They took the GRE for the first time and were surprised by their low verbal score and perfect quantitative score. They are wondering if their high quantitative score can make up for their low verbal score. They are also expecting a 3-3.5 on the writing section and have a 3.5 GPA. Some professors have mentioned that graduate schools care more about the verbal and writing sections of the GRE. The speaker is unsure about the reasoning behind this and speculates that it may be to ensure the ability to write a coherent thesis and publications. The speaker is unsure about the value
DyslexicHobo
Hi all,

I'd like to enter a mechanical engineering master's program at a respectable university (I'm aiming for at least Penn State. I'd LOVE to get into Stanford/MIT/CalTech). I took the GRE for the first time today. I was surprised by both my verbal and quantitative scores because my verbal was very low and my quant was perfect. As I understand, most good universities are looking for at least 500/700. Will my perfect quant score be enough to make up for my lousy verbal? I'm confident that I can get 750+ consistently on quant.

I haven't gotten my writing results back, but I'm expecting a 3-3.5.

I have a ~3.5 GPA

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I have heard from a few professors now that I have entered graduate school: they care more about the verbal and writing sections, and the most about the writing sections of the GRE. Not quite sure about the reasoning on that one. I think they want to know that you will be able to put together a coherent thesis and publications.

As to the value of retaking it - I am not sure. I have heard some schools care a lot about the GRE, but I know mine puts less weight into it.

Second note: A few of my friends and I all got perfects on the quant section - it seems that is common for people coming out of science and engineering.

Eh.. your username says you're dyslexic. Is this true?

1. Should I retake the GRE if I scored a 450 out of 800?

It depends on the score requirements of the graduate programs you are applying to. If the programs you are interested in have a minimum GRE score requirement of 500, then it may be worth retaking the exam. However, if the programs have a lower minimum requirement or do not have a specific score requirement, then retaking the GRE may not be necessary.

2. Will retaking the GRE improve my chances of getting into a graduate program?

Retaking the GRE can potentially improve your chances of getting into a graduate program, but it is not a guarantee. Other factors such as your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a role in the admissions decision.

3. How many times can I retake the GRE?

You can retake the GRE up to five times within a 12-month period. However, it is recommended to only retake the exam if you believe you can significantly improve your score.

4. Will graduate programs see all of my GRE scores?

Yes, most graduate programs require applicants to submit all of their GRE scores from the past five years. However, some programs may allow you to choose which scores to send or only consider your highest score.

5. Is there a time limit for retaking the GRE?

Yes, you must wait at least 21 days before retaking the GRE. Additionally, you can only take the exam a maximum of five times within a 12-month period.