Should I transfer from physics to nuclear engineering?

In summary, it is important to consider the market prospects for both nuclear engineering and teaching before making a decision, and researching and talking to professionals in both fields can help you make an informed decision.
zheng89120
Hello, so I am currently in a respectable physics program at Queen's University in Canada. I have finished 3 years in the degree (after 4 years, long story...), but my former GPA was around 2.0, not nearly up to the 3.0 standard. I am now considering transferring to the nuclear engineering program at UOIT (a relatively career-focused university) in Canada, which would take three more years to get the bachelor of engineering degree. Otherwise, I could stay at Queen's, do a 4th year and then a year in the teacher's school to become qualified to for a physics/science/math teacher.

I am interested in both nuclear engineering or teaching, but from what I have heard, the more important thing would be to choose the one that may have better market prospects, especially considering the current economics. It feels like (although I know it is very bad to assume) nuclear engineering would be a marketable degree, considering UOIT is close to two of Ontario's nuclear power plants, however Queen's physics and teacher's school are very respectable programs, at least in the province.

I have heard Ontario Power Generation isn't hiring anyone for a few years; I imagine they have done a round of hirings in recent years. However, a lot of the current engineers are close or very close to retirement age (although they don't have to retire at the age), so it feels like it is a job that one could land with patience. Teaching on the other hand isn't as clear, since a lot of people went into studying teaching in Canada in recent years, although I imagine more in the arts. But again, Queen's physics and teacher's college are quite respectable. Since I would be a few years behind a lot people, who went to college straight from high school, in getting a bachelor's degree, the market prospects is a top priority in my decision. (In addition, the possibility of electrical engineering at UOIT was also mentioned, but I think only if it has better prospects than nuclear and teaching.)

Thanks for reading into this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice on which route may be more marketable?Thank you for your question. Both nuclear engineering and teaching are highly respected and valued professions, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference and career goals. In terms of marketability, it is hard to say which route may be more marketable. Nuclear engineering is a highly technical field with a lot of growth potential, but it is also highly competitive and requires specialized training. Teaching is also in high demand, but the job market can vary depending on the region and school district. It would be wise to research the job markets in both areas to get a better understanding of the outlook. Talk to professionals in both fields to get their perspectives and advice. Research the requirements for both types of programs to understand what the workload and expectations will be. Ultimately, the decision is yours and should be based on what you are passionate about and which field best meets your career goals.

1. What is the difference between physics and nuclear engineering?

Physics is a broad field that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Nuclear engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the practical applications of nuclear energy, such as power generation and nuclear medicine.

2. Is nuclear engineering a good career choice?

Nuclear engineering can be a rewarding career choice for those interested in the field. It offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including power generation, research and development, and national defense.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in nuclear engineering?

To succeed in nuclear engineering, you will need a strong background in mathematics and physics. You should also have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

4. Will transferring to nuclear engineering be difficult?

Transferring from physics to nuclear engineering may require some adjustments, as the two fields have different focuses. However, if you have a solid foundation in physics and are passionate about nuclear energy, the transition should not be too difficult.

5. What are the potential benefits of transferring to nuclear engineering?

Transferring to nuclear engineering can open up new career opportunities and allow you to work on cutting-edge technologies. It can also offer a higher salary and job stability, as nuclear engineering is a growing field with a demand for skilled professionals.