Show if its a lin. independent subset

In summary, to prove that S = {(0,1,1,1,0)} is a linearly independent subset of V, we must show that it is in V and that it satisfies the equation x1 - 2x2 + 3x3 - x4 + 2x5 = 0. This can be done by plugging in the values of the vector and verifying that the equation is satisfied.
holezch

Homework Statement

[tex] V = { (x_{1},x_{2},x_{3},x_{4},x_{5}) \in R^{5} : x_{1} -2x_{2} + 3x_{3} - x_{4} + 2x_{5} = 0 } [/tex]

show that S = { (0,1,1,1,0) } is a linearly independent subset of V.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get it.. it's a set with 1 non zero vector, it's going to be linearly independent? then do I just have to show that it's actualy in V?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a set with 1 element is going to be linearly independent. You must verify that (0,1,1,1,0) is actually in V to show that S is a subset of V. Just plug the vector into the equation and see if you get 0.

thanks, I thought I was misunderstanding something.. since it looked to trivial to me haha

Related to Show if its a lin. independent subset

1. What does it mean for a subset to be linearly independent?

A subset is linearly independent if none of its vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset. In other words, no vector in the subset is redundant and all the vectors are necessary to span the vector space.

2. How do you test if a subset is linearly independent?

To test if a subset is linearly independent, you can use the definition of linear independence by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients. If there is a unique solution where all the coefficients are equal to 0, then the subset is linearly independent.

3. What is the difference between linear independence and spanning?

Linear independence and spanning are two different concepts. Linear independence refers to the relationship between vectors in a subset, while spanning refers to the ability of a subset to cover or reach every vector in a vector space. A subset can be linearly independent and not span the entire vector space, and vice versa.

4. Can a subset be both linearly dependent and spanning?

Yes, a subset can be both linearly dependent and spanning. This means that there is at least one vector in the subset that can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors, but the subset is still able to cover or reach every vector in the vector space.

5. How does linear independence relate to basis vectors?

Basis vectors are a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that every vector in the vector space can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors. Therefore, linear independence is a necessary condition for a set of vectors to be a basis.