Showing that tan(1) is irrational

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary: Rather it's ##45^\circ##. In summary, an inductive proof by contradiction is used to show that if ##\tan(1^\circ)## is rational then ##\tan(n^\circ)## is rational for all ##n \in N##. However, this leads to a contradiction when trying to prove that ##\tan(45^\circ)## is rational.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\tan (1^\circ)## is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose for contradiction that ##\tan (1^\circ)## is rational. We claim that this implies that ##\tan (n^\circ)## is rational. Here is the proof by induction: We know by supposition that the base case holds. So, suppose that ##\tan (n^\circ)## is rational. Then ##\displaystyle \tan (n^\circ + 1^\circ) = \frac{\tan(n^\circ) + \tan(1^\circ)}{1-\tan(n^\circ)\tan(1^\circ)}##, and this is the ratio of two rational numbers, and so is rational. So by mathematical induction ##\tan (n^\circ)## is rational.

However, this implies that ##\tan(30^\circ) = \sqrt{3}## is rational, which is a contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?

Orodruin said:
Do you have a question?
I guess I was just attempting a solution. Seems like it's correct though

Mr Davis 97 said:
tan(30)=√3
Umm, no.

Summarizing, if ##\tan(1)## is rational then it follows by induction that ##\tan(n)## is rational for all ##n \in N##. An inductive proof by contradiction is a structure I haven't seen a lot, in fact I can't offhand recall such a proof. But it certainly seems valid to me.

The only issue is, @haruspex pointed out, is that ##30^\circ## is not the angle you want to use in your final line of argument.

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written in the form a/b where a and b are integers.

2. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

To prove that a number is irrational, you must show that it cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. This can be done through various methods such as proof by contradiction or using the properties of irrational numbers.

3. Why is proving that tan(1) is irrational important?

Proving that tan(1) is irrational is important because it helps to establish the irrationality of other trigonometric functions. It also has applications in various fields such as number theory and geometry.

4. What is the process for showing that tan(1) is irrational?

The process for showing that tan(1) is irrational involves assuming that it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers and then using proof by contradiction to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This ultimately proves that tan(1) cannot be written as a ratio of two integers, thus making it irrational.

5. Are there any other methods for proving that tan(1) is irrational?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that tan(1) is irrational such as using the properties of continued fractions or using the fact that tan(1) is a transcendental number. However, proof by contradiction is the most commonly used method for showing that tan(1) is irrational.