Simple set theory question

In summary, set theory is a branch of mathematics that studies collections of objects or elements, known as sets. It helps to understand concepts such as infinity and mathematical proof. A set is a well-defined collection of objects, and a subset is a set that contains elements from another set. Sets can be represented in various ways, such as using curly braces, set notation, or Venn diagrams. The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements it contains.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##A \subseteq B##, then ##\bigcup A \subseteq \bigcup B##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a simple problem, but I just want to make sure I am writing out the proof correctly:

Suppose that ##A \subseteq B##. We want to show that ##\bigcup A \subseteq \bigcup B##. So consider any ##t \in \bigcup A##. This means that ##t## is a member of one of the sets contained in ##A##. But ##A \subseteq B##, so ##t## is also a member of one of the sets contained in ##B##, which implies ##t \in \bigcup B##.

Is there any way I could improve the proof? I just want to make sure I'm doing these right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
This is a simple problem, but I just want to make sure I am writing out the proof correctly.
It is.
Mr Davis 97 said:
Is there any way I could improve the proof?
No better way. You took the straight forward way and applied the definitions.
One could only mention that the double use of the set names as single sets and as a collection of sets is a bit sloppy. It would be more precise to write
$$
\forall_{\iota \in I} \quad A_\iota \subseteq B_\iota \quad \quad \Longrightarrow \quad \cup_{\iota \in I} A_\iota \subseteq \cup_{\iota \in I} B_\iota
$$
for some index set ##I##. But it is clear what is meant, so the sloppiness is forgivable.

Edit: I just saw that it might be the case that ##A,B## are both meant as a collection of sets and the collection ##A## is a subcollection of ##B##, i.e. every set in ##A## is also a set in ##B##. In this case the notation is o.k. but it should have been mentioned.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for understanding the concepts of infinity and mathematical proof.

2. What is a set?

A set is a well-defined collection of objects or elements. These objects can be numbers, letters, or any other type of mathematical or physical entity.

3. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements from another set, while a set is a collection of elements that may or may not be related to each other. In other words, all subsets are sets, but not all sets are subsets.

4. How do you represent a set?

A set can be represented in several ways, including using curly braces { } to list the elements, using set notation such as A = {x | x is a positive even number}, or using a Venn diagram to show the relationship between sets.

5. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. For example, the set A = {1, 2, 3, 4} has a cardinality of 4, while the set B = {a, b, c} has a cardinality of 3.