Slow Forums: PF Under DDOS Attack

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not getting the 503 errors I was getting last night.It's Tuesday morning, March 6th, about 7:30 am EST.In summary, the Physics Forums website has been experiencing slow loading times and errors, particularly the "MySQL server has gone away" error. This is attributed to a DOS attack that occurred on March 5th and is still ongoing. The site moderators are working on fixing the issue and have contacted their data center for assistance. The attack is believed to be from a disgruntled individual or group, and the site is currently being monitored for any further attacks. The site's speed has improved since last night, but it is not yet back to
any suggestions on seeing if you are hijacked? willing to see if that's the case, might sense to target frequent users. don't know, just saying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insanity said:
any suggestions on seeing if you are hijacked? willing to see if that's the case, might sense to target frequent users. don't know, just saying.

I'd recommend a firewall... Commodo might suit you well, but an AV scan should do it Insanity.

Most of these are not that cleverly hidden, they just dig out a bit of your HD, and run a process in the background. Without going into clinical detail, a firewall that monitors incoming AND outgoing activity is good, as well as a process monitor.

Still, if you've done a full boot scan, and HD/other scan... and it's clean, you're probably clean.

Most people notice that they connection becomes sluggish if they're sending DOS packets, unless the script kiddy had the wit to limit what each zombie sends at any given time.

connection does not seem slow to anu other sites. still doing scans on both PCs. probably take the night.

Insanity said:
connection does not seem slow to anu other sites. still doing scans on both PCs. probably take the night.

It's my educated guess, wild though it may be, that your problems with PF are not the result of your computer being infected. Still, it never hurts to scan, and you may find some malware that in some odd way is giving you 'agita'.

Let us know what the results are, would you? I'd like to help you if at all possible, and if there is a need.

Well, the scan on my laptop were clean, still doing virus scan on desktop, but probably unneeded as just now I am able to get to PF on my laptop, which is my primary PC.

I couldn't get here on either before. Not sure what the issue was, but subscribing to the belief it wasn't me.

Attacks still ongoing by chance?

Insanity said:
Well, the scan on my laptop were clean, still doing virus scan on desktop, but probably unneeded as just now I am able to get to PF on my laptop, which is my primary PC.

I couldn't get here on either before. Not sure what the issue was, but subscribing to the belief it wasn't me.

Attacks still ongoing by chance?

I'm glad your scan was clean, always a good thing. I'd assume the attack is ongoing, but still petering out as per my description earlier. Greg would know however, I'm just guessing... I doubt the attack has been renewed, and if it has then Greg should be laughing so hard at blocking it that he might not be able to type.

I was doubtful I'd have anything, software is always doing real-time check against any downloads and sites, but never know. Anywho, glad I can get here now, easier to type on keyboard vs. tapping on phone.

Insanity said:
I was doubtful I'd have anything, software is always doing real-time check against any downloads and sites, but never know. Anywho, glad I can get here now, easier to type on keyboard vs. tapping on phone.
Good news! Welcome back to using a real keyboard.

dlgoff said:
Good news! Welcome back to using a real keyboard.

Oh man... I hear you... how the hell do people text so MUCH? I'm not particularly old, but give me a damned keyboard PLEASE...

nismaratwork said:
Oh man... I hear you... how the hell do people text so MUCH? I'm not particularly old, but give me a damned keyboard PLEASE...
Also; give me a real mouse anytime over those laptop touch thingies.

dlgoff said:
Also; give me a real mouse anytime over those laptop touch thingies.

YES! Oh.. I LOATE touchpad 'mouses'... bluetooth mice are the best thing to happen to laptops since batteries that last for more than picosecond.

I agree, bluetooth mouse, real keyboard, I even have an USB numpad for when punching a bunch of numbers.

Insanity said:
I agree, bluetooth mouse, real keyboard, I even have an USB numpad for when punching a bunch of numbers.

Amen brother! :wink:

I still have a fold-out keyboard for my phone... and damn the stares. :biggrin:

ever seen something like this?

Code:
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6766

still relatively new I think, but innovative for sure.

Insanity said:
ever seen something like this?

Code:
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6766

still relatively new I think, but innovative for sure.

I saw a laser keyboard for sale on thinkgeek. I'm not sure how effective it would be though.

Lancelot59 said:
I saw a laser keyboard for sale on thinkgeek. I'm not sure how effective it would be though.

It hurts like a bastard when you forget that you're slapping fingers on a table...

Yep, I saw it on thinkgeek.

nismaratwork said:
A lot of phones now do have keyboards. The stupid buttons are just a bit too small for my giant hands though.

Jiggy-Ninja said:
A lot of phones now do have keyboards. The stupid buttons are just a bit too small for my giant hands though.

I know... I'm not sure what elfin hand those things are made for, but not your's or mine it seems! My texts sound like I'm trying to type with 'my left foot'. :tongue:

Oh, except Daniel Day Lewis actually managed the trick of it, and it seems I never will. Voice input please...

Is the DDOS still ongoing?

Greg Bernhardt said:
yes it is
Things seem to be running okay here. I hope you will continue to stay on top of it.

Thanks Greg

Greg Bernhardt said:
yes it is

It's not me is it?

I thought macs where immune to such things.

hmm...

first day I brought my macbook out to play, a hacker friend grabbed it away from me and said; "Oh! a mac. Let me check something. 'clickity clickity clickity'. Ok Om, everything is fine, continue on with your life, as if nothing is being monitored... "

:bugeye:

I'm not a zombie am I?

He does have several high powered servers running in the heart of Montana, from what he's claimed.

OmCheeto said:
It's not me is it?

I thought macs where immune to such things.

hmm...

first day I brought my macbook out to play, a hacker friend grabbed it away from me and said; "Oh! a mac. Let me check something. 'clickity clickity clickity'. Ok Om, everything is fine, continue on with your life, as if nothing is being monitored... "

:bugeye:

I'm not a zombie am I?

He does have several high powered servers running in the heart of Montana, from what he's claimed.

Do you crave brains? :wink:

@Greg: You've done this... you know you have... I've LITERALLY been this guy.

tcpip_punch1.jpg

I think for DDOS that should be a kick in the grapes, but I'm a known 'harsh' element.

nismaratwork said:
tcpip_punch1.jpg

I like that a lot.

The site was sluggish just a minute ago for me. Something to do with the DDoS attack?

FtlIsAwesome said:
The site was sluggish just a minute ago for me. Something to do with the DDoS attack?

Sorry, that was me... I um... pooped on your modem.

What??

FtlIsAwesome said:
What??

Sorry, did I type that out loud? :biggrin:

Just kidding man, I'm having no trouble, if the DDOS is ongoing, Greg is owning it.

Still slow for me for some pages.

fluidistic said:
Still slow for me for some pages.

Really? Smooth as silk here...

I can't imagine that even a script kiddy would be so stupid to keep renewing a failed DDOS.

Then again, stupidity is a many splendored thing...

nismaratwork said:
Really? Smooth as silk here...

I can't imagine that even a script kiddy would be so stupid to keep renewing a failed DDOS.

Smooth here too. And I'm using a dorm connection, so smoothness is exceptional.

Char. Limit said:
Smooth here too. And I'm using a dorm connection, so smoothness is exceptional.

OK, we've exceeded our limit for "smooth" in two posts. :tongue:

Still, I remember dorm connections... always clogged when you'd expect them to be. :grumpy:

nismaratwork said:
... I remember dorm connections... always clogged when you'd expect them to be. :grumpy:

At least you didn't have to punch cards to get a connection like I had to. :frown:

nismaratwork said:
I can.

nismaratwork said:
That's a signature. :biggrin: