SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stresses in SolidWorks and whether it involves the second moment of area or the formula y/r = m/i. The speaker also mentions their current knowledge of FEA and how it may be more effective in solving the problem compared to beam analysis. They also inquire about how FEA uses math to solve problems.
richardstan
5184686234_3367eaec81.jpg

Does anyone know how SolidWorks calculates the stresses for this simulation. Can anyone give me an idea, is it second moment of area? y/r = m/i?

Thanks
Richard.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Before we can answer this question, do you know how FEA works? (I mean the maths of it)

I'm halfway through a course on FEA at the moment, its becoming more obvious that using that mathematics will be the best way to solve the problem, rather than using beam analysis.
Sort of answered my own question.
Thanks anyway.

I mean how the FEA program uses maths to solve the problem? Or how FEA solves problems in general?

Related to SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)

1. What is SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)?

SolidWorks FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a computer-aided engineering tool used to simulate the behavior of a design under various physical conditions. The "varying cross section" feature allows for the analysis of designs with non-uniform cross sections, such as tapered or stepped geometries.

2. How does SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section) work?

SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section) works by breaking down a complex design into smaller, simpler elements called finite elements. These elements are then analyzed using mathematical equations to determine how they will behave under different loads and constraints. The results are then combined to give a full understanding of the design's performance.

3. What are the benefits of using SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)?

The use of SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section) allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of designs, as it takes into account the varying cross sections of a design. This can lead to improved product performance, reduced material costs, and faster design iterations.

4. What types of designs can be analyzed using SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)?

SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section) can be used to analyze a wide range of designs, including structures, mechanical components, and even electronic circuits. It is especially useful for designs with varying cross sections, such as beams, shafts, and pipes.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section)?

The accuracy of the results obtained from SolidWorks FEA (Varying Cross Section) depends on the quality of the input data, such as material properties and boundary conditions, and the complexity of the design. With proper setup and validation, the results can be highly accurate and can help identify potential design issues before the production stage.