Solution to the Diffusion equation using a two dimensional fourier transform

In summary: Yes, the complete solution would be the sum of these two solutions. This is because the diffusion equation is linear, so any linear combination of solutions is also a solution. However, the first solution may not be a physically meaningful one, so it would be best to just use the second solution. In summary, the schoolboy sets off a stink bomb at t=0, x=0 in a corridor considered infinitely long. The dispersion of particles follows the modified diffusion formula, and the density can be expressed in terms of its Fourier transform and the Dirac delta function. The solution for the function \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) is found using the inverse Fourier transform and assuming f(p) = 0. The complete
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

at t=0, x=0, a schoolboy sets off a stink bomb halfway down a corridor that is long enough to be considered infinite. The dispersion of the particles obey the modified diffusion formula:

[itex] \frac{\partial \rho (x,t)}{\partial t} - D\frac{\partial^2 \rho(x,t)}{\partialx^2}=K\delta(x)\delta(t)[/itex]

1) Express the density in terms of its Fourier transform and substitute into the above equation, also write out the dirac delta function as a product of the integral forms.
2) find the function [itex]\tilde{\rho}(p,\omega)[/itex]

there is another part but i need to understand this bit before i make n attempt on it

Homework Equations

Inverse Fourier Transform:

[itex] f(x,t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^\infty_{-\infty} dp \int^\infty_{-\infty} d\omega e^{ipx - i\omega t} \tilde{f}(p,\omega) [/itex]

Dirac Delta Function:

[itex] \delta (x-x_0) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{ip(x-x_0) dp[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

having made a substitution for [itex] \rho(x,t)[/itex] for the above equation and using the delta functions for x and t i get:

[itex] \int^\infty_{-\infty} dp \int^\infty_{-\infty} d\omega e^{ipx - i\omega t} \left(Dp^2 - i\omega\right) \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \frac{K}{2\pi}\int^\infty_{-\infty} dp \int^\infty_{-\infty} d\omega e^{ipx - i\omega t}[/itex]

From here, I am not sure how to get the function [itex]\tlide{\rho}(p,\omega)[/itex]
is there some property of Fourier transforms or delta functions that i am forgetting?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
equating the arguments of the integrals:

for t=0:

[itex](Dp^2-i\omega)\tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \frac{K}{2\pi}[/itex]

for t>0:

[itex](Dp^2-i\omega)\tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = 0[/itex]i think this might be the next step. There is also a hint on the question paper:

this function could contain a term in the form:
[itex] f(p)\delta(Dp^2-i\omega)[/itex]

where f(p) is an arbitary function, in this case you shhould assume f(p)=0

I don't fully follow the argument behind this

Last edited:
There seems to be a slight mistake in your calculation.
I believe that your factor K/2pi should actually be 2piK.

ah sorry, missed a 1/2pi factor on the delta function when i typed it up, the product of the two d(x) d(t) gives a 1/4pi^2 on the right hand side, which cancels with 1/2pi on the left to leave K/2pi.

knowlewj01 said:
ah sorry, missed a 1/2pi factor on the delta function when i typed it up, the product of the two d(x) d(t) gives a 1/4pi^2 on the right hand side, which cancels with 1/2pi on the left to leave K/2pi.

Shouldn't the delta function have a factor of 1/sqrt(2pi) [edit]to be consistent with the f(x,t) transform[/edit]?

in my notes it says that you get a factor of 1/2pi for each dimension in the delta function, ill have another read of it.

knowlewj01 said:
for t>0:

[itex](Dp^2-i\omega)\tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = 0[/itex]

On second thought i don't think this is right, this is just one possible solution. i think the previos one just needs to be rearranged and modified in some way.

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \frac{K}{2\pi}\frac{1}{Dp^2-i\omega}[/itex]

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega)[/itex] needs to be chosen such that the origonal PDE is satisfied. not sure how to go about this

knowlewj01 said:
On second thought i don't think this is right, this is just one possible solution. i think the previos one just needs to be rearranged and modified in some way.

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \frac{K}{2\pi}\frac{1}{Dp^2-i\omega}[/itex]

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega)[/itex] needs to be chosen such that the origonal PDE is satisfied. not sure how to go about this

Isn't this already the solution?
With your equation for F(rho)(p,w), the integral equation is satisfied, which means the original diffusion equation is satisfied.

The only question would be whether this is a "complete" solution, since there might be another solution.

knowlewj01 said:
in my notes it says that you get a factor of 1/2pi for each dimension in the delta function, ill have another read of it.

With Fourier, each and every time one needs to "chose" where to put the 2pi factor.
There are basically 3 conventions:
1. Within the exponential (which means using frequency f instead of angular velocity w)
2. Equally divided between the transform and the inverse transform
3. Only in either the transform or the inverse transform

In a 2-dimensional transform we have a factor (1/2pi)^2 that must be divided.
In a 1-dimensional transform we have a factor (1/2pi) that must be divided.

In your 2-dimensional transform the factor is 1/2pi for the inverse transform, implying you would have the same factor 1/2pi for the 2-dimensional transform.

So for transform of the dirac-function we would get 1/sqrt(2pi) to be consistent.
And for a 2-dimensional transform (of the product of 2 dirac-functions) we would get 1/2pi.

ok, so if i don't ignore this:

knowlewj01 said:
for t>0:

[itex](Dp^2-i\omega)\tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = 0[/itex]

a solution is possible where:

[itex] Dp^2 = i\omega[/itex]

can rewrite this using the delta function:

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \delta\left(Dp^2-i\omega\right) \tilde{f}(p)[/itex]

would the complete solution be the sum of this one and my previous one?:

[itex] \tilde{\rho}(p,\omega) = \delta\left(Dp^2-i\omega\right) \tilde{f}(p) + \frac{K}{2\pi}\frac{1}{Dp^2-i\omega}[/itex]

Related to Solution to the Diffusion equation using a two dimensional fourier transform

1. What is the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is a partial differential equation that describes the spread of a substance or quantity over time in a given space. It is used to model various physical processes such as heat transfer, mass transfer, and chemical reactions.

2. How is the diffusion equation solved using a two-dimensional Fourier transform?

The two-dimensional Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that can decompose a function into its frequency components. By applying the Fourier transform to the diffusion equation, it can be converted into an algebraic equation that can be solved using standard techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using a Fourier transform to solve the diffusion equation?

The Fourier transform simplifies the solution of the diffusion equation by converting it into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It also allows for the solution to be expressed in terms of frequency components, providing a better understanding of the behavior of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform for solving the diffusion equation?

While the Fourier transform is a powerful tool, it is not always applicable to all types of diffusion problems. It works best for linear and homogeneous systems, and may not be suitable for more complex systems with non-linear or non-homogeneous behavior.

5. How is the solution to the diffusion equation using a two-dimensional Fourier transform applied in real-world scenarios?

The solution to the diffusion equation using a two-dimensional Fourier transform is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and understand diffusion processes. It has applications in areas such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and material science.