Solve 2sin(2x): Table of Values & Graph (-π to π)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prepare a table of values and plot a graph for the function f(x)=2sin(2x) with a domain of (-pi,pi). The question is raised about whether the domain should be adjusted to (-pi/2,pi/2) due to horizontal compression, but it is clarified that the domain remains the same and a calculator can be used to find the values. It is also noted that while the period is halved, the domain remains all real numbers, similar to the function sin(x).
DethRose
I have a question that says: prepare a table of values and plot the graph for the domain (-pie,pie) for the function f(x)=2sin(2x)

I understand how to do that for y=sinx, but for this function the wave compresses horizontally and stretches vertically so isn't the domain now (-pie/2,pie/2) and then therefore how can you make a table of values for (-pie,pie).

thanks for any help
andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the domain is still (-pi,pi). Just use a calculator.

why is that because doesn't the 2x compress it horizontally?

Yes, the period will be cut in half, but you can still put x=pi, f(x)=2*sin(2*pi) in your table.

The period is now [itex][-\pi /2, \pi /2][/itex]. The "domain" is still all real numbers just as it is for sin(x).

1. What is the equation 2sin(2x)?

The equation 2sin(2x) represents a sinusoidal function with a period of 2π, an amplitude of 2, and a vertical shift of 0.

2. How do I create a table of values for 2sin(2x)?

To create a table of values for 2sin(2x), first choose a range of values for x, such as -π to π. Then, plug in each value of x into the equation and solve for y. Repeat this process for each value of x to create a table of values.

3. How do I graph 2sin(2x)?

To graph 2sin(2x), plot the points from the table of values on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. Make sure to label the x-axis and y-axis and include the appropriate scale for each axis.

4. What is the domain and range of 2sin(2x)?

The domain of 2sin(2x) is all real numbers, whereas the range is between -2 and 2, inclusive.

5. How do I solve for x when given a value of y for 2sin(2x)?

To solve for x, first isolate the sine term by dividing both sides of the equation by 2. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle whose sine is equal to the given value of y. Finally, divide the angle by 2 to get the value of x.