Solve Side Flash Problem: Current Through Person is 5000A

• Thread starter Crush1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash
In summary: Right after reading this I wasn't sure what you meant. It nailed me when I was driving though! Thanks.Yes! That is what hit me. I didn't really realize that the resistivity of the man was supposed to be taken as that of an idea wire, and that now I just have like two resistors in parallel with equal resistivity just different lengths! So it clicked... Love that moment when that happens :D.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Side Flash. Part of a bolt of lightning jumps through distance d in air and then travels through the person ( who has negligible resistance relative to that of air because of the highly conducting salty fluids within the body). The rest of the current travels through air alongside the tree, for a distance h. If d/h = .400 and the total current is I = 5000A, what is the current through the person?
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1920x893q90/633/IF9c3g.png

Homework Equations

R= rho* L/A

The Attempt at a Solution

W[/B]hile attempting this problem I could see that the person and the air along the tree form a circuit that is in parallel. So the voltage across the person and the air along the tree is the same. So the resistance of one side of the circuit multiplied by it's current will equal the other side of the circuit's resistance multiplied by it's current. I also know that the total current of 5000A will be equal to the amperage that flows through the person and along the tree.

I became stuck here though. Knowing that the resistance equation rho*L/A was probably going to play a part. I found a solution manual that equated the current of one side multiplied by d equals the current of the other side multiplied by h.

After reworking the equation you have that the larger current through the person is 5000/1.4 and the other current is simple to find from there.

Can anyone give me some insight as to how you make the jump to knowing that i1*h = i2*d is something that is valid to do?

Thank you in advance and I apologize for the ugly typing and equations, I was looking into latex but it just all seemed so overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The insight is based on realizing that there is one and only one voltage wrt ground at the point of branching.
For that voltage, Ohms law says V = I1 * R1 and also V = I2 * R2.
For this exercise, R is assumed to be proportional to d and h, respectively. With the same proportionality constant, which personally I find very far-fetched.

BvU said:
The insight is based on realizing that there is one and only one voltage wrt ground at the point of branching.
For that voltage, Ohms law says V = I1 * R1 and also V = I2 * R2.
For this exercise, R is assumed to be proportional to d and h, respectively. With the same proportionality constant, which personally I find very far-fetched.

I think the idea is that the resistivity of the man is so much smaller than that of air that the effective resistance of each path is that of the air carried portions alone. Then we can see how the resistances will be proportional to d and h.

Likes Crush1986
gneill said:
I think the idea is that the resistivity of the man is so much smaller than that of air that the effective resistance of each path is that of the air carried portions alone. Then we can see how the resistances will be proportional to d and h.

Right after reading this I wasn't sure what you meant. It nailed me when I was driving though! Thanks.

Yes! That is what hit me. I didn't really realize that the resistivity of the man was supposed to be taken as that of an idea wire, and that now I just have like two resistors in parallel with equal resistivity just different lengths! So it clicked... Love that moment when that happens :D.

What is the "Side Flash Problem"?

The Side Flash Problem refers to the phenomenon of electric current passing through a person, known as "side flash", which can occur when a person comes into contact with high-voltage power lines or equipment.

Why is it important to solve the Side Flash Problem?

The Side Flash Problem can be extremely dangerous and even fatal. The high voltage current passing through a person's body can cause severe burns and damage to internal organs. Therefore, it is important to find solutions to prevent or reduce the likelihood of side flash occurrences.

What causes the current through a person to be 5000A?

The current through a person can reach 5000A due to a variety of factors, such as the voltage of the power line or equipment, the resistance of the person's body, and the duration of contact. The higher the voltage and the lower the resistance, the higher the current will be.

How can the Side Flash Problem be solved?

There are several methods to solve the Side Flash Problem, such as using insulating materials to cover power lines and equipment, implementing safety protocols and training for workers, and installing warning signs and barriers to prevent accidental contact with power lines. Additionally, proper maintenance and inspections of power lines and equipment can help identify and address potential side flash hazards.

What safety measures should be taken to prevent side flash incidents?

To prevent side flash incidents, it is important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working near power lines and equipment. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, maintaining a safe distance from power lines, and using insulated tools and equipment. Adequate training and awareness of the risks and safety procedures can also help prevent side flash incidents.