Solving a circuit using Kirchhoff's Rules

In summary: No, I haven't been taught about mesh currents or nodal analysis.In summary, when solving a circuit problem you need to use either KVL or KCL.
scarecrow425

Homework Statement

using kirchhoff's rules, determine the current through and voltage drop across each resistor in the accompanying figure.
circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR, potential voltage ( voltage drop )= current * resistance
Voltage in series Vt=V1 + V2 + V3...
Current in series It = I1 = I2 = I3...
Resistance in series Rt= R1 + R2 + R3...

Voltage in parallel Vt= V1 + V2 + V3..
Current in parallel It = I1+ I2 + I3..
Resistance in parallel 1/Rt= 1/R1 + 1/R2...

these are the equations we've been using in class

The Attempt at a Solution

i wasnt sure how to start this problem since i don't have any similar examples to look at. but what i did was add the two voltages of the batteries to get a total of 25 V. i also assumed that resistors 2 and 3 were in parallel, and together were in series with resistor 1. making the total resistance 10. ( 1/6 + 1/3 = 3/6 ; 1/(3/6) = 2 ; 8+2 = 10) so that gave me a current of 2.5. so i got the current through R1 to be 2.5 amps, thecurrent through R2 to be .833 and the current through R3 to be 1.67.
the voltage drop across R1 to be 20 V (2.5 amp * 8 ohms), across R2 to be 5 and across R3 to be 5

im pretty sure i didnt do it right but I am not sure how i should set up the problem. in class our teacher gave us an example like this one with two batteries. but i got confused when he was drawing the arrows for the direction of the current. he drew current flowing from A to B, but also from B to A. i tried to figure it out doing that but it seems too complicated. i always end up with current flowing into a battery through the wrong end. can someone please show me how to set it up correctly? thanks

Attachments

• circuit16.bmp
    26.7 KB · Views: 646
Physics news on Phys.org
When solving a circuit problem you really only have two ways of solving it: KVL or KCL.

The voltage sources are NOT in parallel neither are resistors 2 and 3. This is a wye bridge I believe.

Alright, when provided with college-level circuits, it's time to take a college-level approach to solving circuit problems. The good old method of adding voltages and resistances together just doesn't work well anymore. While the approach of separating the "batteries" from the "load" works with simple configurations, they quickly become non-applicable to complex circuits.

Have you been taught about mesh currents or nodal analysis?

Related to Solving a circuit using Kirchhoff's Rules

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules and why are they important in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Laws, are fundamental principles used to solve electrical circuits. They are important in circuit analysis because they provide a systematic approach to understanding and analyzing complex circuits, ensuring that the equations used to describe the circuits are consistent and accurate.

2. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge. On the other hand, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Rules to solve a circuit?

To solve a circuit using Kirchhoff's Rules, you first need to identify all the nodes and loops in the circuit. Then, you can write down the equations for Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law for each node and loop. Finally, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variables in the equations.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Rules be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Rules can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complex circuit with multiple loops and nodes. However, they are most commonly used for DC (direct current) circuits, as they assume a constant current and voltage throughout the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's Rules in circuit analysis?

While Kirchhoff's Rules are a powerful tool for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. They assume ideal conditions, such as perfectly conductive wires and components, and the equations can become more complex for circuits with many loops and nodes. Additionally, they do not take into account inductive or capacitive effects, which are important in AC (alternating current) circuits.