Solving Absolute Value Limit: x→2

In summary: In that case, the fraction would be tiny.For the original limit, assuming DNE means "does not exist", that's correct.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Solve: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | x^2 + 3x + 2 \right |}{x^2 - 4}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve the following limit: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | x^2 + 3x + 2 \right |}{x^2 - 4} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | (x + 1)(x + 2) \right |}{(x - 2)(x + 2)}##. However, I am not sure how to proceed. Normally, I would cancel out the factors, but I am not sure what do with the absolute value in the numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Solve: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | x^2 + 3x + 2 \right |}{x^2 - 4}##.

Homework Equations

I am trying to solve the following limit: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | x^2 + 3x + 2 \right |}{x^2 - 4} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | (x + 1)(x + 2) \right |}{(x - 2)(x + 2)}##. However, I am not sure how to proceed. Normally, I would cancel out the factors, but I am not sure what do with the absolute value in the numerator.
Since x is near 2, |x + 2| will be near 4; i.e., positive.

Mark44 said:
Since x is near 2, |x + 2| will be near 4; i.e., positive.
So I can just proceed as if there were no absolute value?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Are you sure it's not supposed to be ##x^2 - 3x + 2## in the numerator?

PeroK said:
Are you sure it's not supposed to be ##x^2 - 3x + 2## in the numerator?
Pretty sure. Why?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Pretty sure. Why?

See whether you can work it out!

PeroK said:
See whether you can work it out!
Well I got DNE! Isn't that still a valid response?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well I got DNE! Isn't that still a valid response?

For the original limit, assuming DNE means "does not exist", that's correct.

##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{\left | x^2 - 3x + 2 \right |}{x^2 - 4}##.

Is a better problem, because it's of the form ##\frac{0}{0}## which the original problem wasn't.

Likes Mr Davis 97
The point is that as x goes to 2, the denominator goes to 0 but the numerator does NOT. For x arbitrarily close to 0, the numerator close to 18, denominator close to 0, the fraction will be huge. If the limit were as x goes to -2, then it would be of the form "0/0".

1. What is an absolute value limit?

An absolute value limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as the input value (x) approaches a specific point (a). It is denoted as lim x→a |f(x)|, where f(x) is the function and a is the point of interest.

2. Why is solving absolute value limits important?

Solving absolute value limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point. It also allows us to determine the existence of a limit and evaluate the limit value, which is useful in various real-world applications.

3. What is the process for solving absolute value limits?

The process for solving absolute value limits involves first simplifying the expression inside the absolute value signs, then evaluating the limit of the simplified expression. If the limit exists, the value of the limit is the answer. If the limit does not exist, further analysis may be required to determine the limit value.

4. What are the common techniques for solving absolute value limits?

There are several common techniques for solving absolute value limits, including using the definition of a limit, using algebraic manipulation and properties of limits, and using the Squeeze Theorem. These techniques can be applied depending on the given function and point of interest.

5. How can absolute value limits be applied in real life?

Absolute value limits have various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function, the stability of a system, or the optimal solution to a problem.