Solving Curvilinear Motion Problem - Physics Forums

In summary, solving curvilinear motion problems involves using equations and principles of physics to analyze the motion of objects following a curved path. This includes considering forces acting on the object, such as gravity and friction, and using techniques like vector addition and integration to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given point in time. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often used in real-world applications such as projectile motion and circular motion. By understanding and applying the principles of curvilinear motion, one can accurately predict and analyze the movement of objects in a variety of situations.
manongistong
Same with problem https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/trigonometric-problem.76696/ . My problems here is I cannot came up with the same answers in the book. I didn't solve using vectors.

Homework Equations

I would like to know the equation on the 4th hint although I have different solution. It might help me get to the answers.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt solution is attached on this post.
I have the values of radial velocity and transverse velocity but I cannot came up with the answers 12.26 (a) 5770 m; (b) 263 m/s; (c) 18.86◦ (for B and C).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 347
  • resize1.png
    resize1.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 347
  • resize3.png
    resize3.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 375
  • resize2.png
    resize2.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
manongistong said:
Same with problem https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/trigonometric-problem.76696/ . My problems here is I cannot came up with the same answers in the book. I didn't solve using vectors.

Homework Equations

I would like to know the equation on the 4th hint although I have different solution. It might help me get to the answers.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt solution is attached on this post.
I have the values of radial velocity and transverse velocity but I cannot came up with the answers 12.26 (a) 5770 m; (b) 263 m/s; (c) 18.86◦ (for B and C).
I would be inclined to use cartesian coordinates.

Let x(t) = horizontal location of plane relative to A
Let x(t) - 1000 = horizontal location of plane relative to B
Let y(t) = vertical location of plane

Chet

Related to Solving Curvilinear Motion Problem - Physics Forums

What is curvilinear motion?

Curvilinear motion refers to the movement of an object along a curved path. Unlike linear motion, which occurs in a straight line, curvilinear motion involves changes in both direction and speed.

What are some examples of curvilinear motion?

Some examples of curvilinear motion include a car traveling along a winding road, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a roller coaster moving along its track.

What are the key equations used to solve curvilinear motion problems?

The key equations used to solve curvilinear motion problems include the equations for velocity, acceleration, and position. These can be derived from the fundamental equations of motion, along with additional equations for circular motion.

How does the direction of acceleration affect curvilinear motion?

The direction of acceleration determines the shape of the object's path. If acceleration is perpendicular to the object's velocity, the object will move in a circular path. If acceleration is in the same direction as the object's velocity, the object will speed up. If acceleration is in the opposite direction as the object's velocity, the object will slow down.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving curvilinear motion problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving curvilinear motion problems include using the wrong equations, not considering the direction of acceleration, and not properly defining the coordinate system. It is also important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.