Solving for Angular Velocity of Rod: 6.8 rad/s

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity of a rod at a specific instant, given the angular velocity of a flywheel and the position of the rod. The equations used include V_B = ω x r and V_C = V_B + ω x r_C/B. However, the system is not one rigid body, so the second equation may not be applicable. To find the angular velocity of the rod, consider the system at the specific instant in time when points O and D are stationary.
uncensored188

Homework Statement

The flywheel is rotating with an angular velocity of = 6.8 .
Determine the angular velocity of rod at the instant shown.
http://postimage.org/image/lfypabekb/

Homework Equations

(1) V_B= ω x r
(2) V_C= V_B + ω x r_C/B

The Attempt at a Solution

I do r times ω to get the velocity of B to be
-2.04i

I then plug into equation (2)

and i get (V_cx)i + (V_cy)j = -2.04i -1.5ωj

there are too many unknowns,
im guessing i have to use the length of DC and its angle somehow but i don't know how
THANK YOU

Physics news on Phys.org

You have got the right value for the velocity.

Your second relevant equation is the velocity at a point in a rigid body (Vc), in terms of the velocity at some other point (Vb). But the rod is moving with respect to the flywheel, so the entire system is not one rigid body, so I don't think you can use this equation here.

Also, I think we can assume the question wants you to calculate the angular velocity of the rod around the point at which the rod is fixed. To calculate this is not very complicated. just think of the system at that particular instant in time.

O and D are stationary points. They have no acceleration nor velocity. See if that helps

Related to Solving for Angular Velocity of Rod: 6.8 rad/s

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the equation for solving for angular velocity of a rod?

The equation for solving for angular velocity of a rod is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the tangential velocity (linear velocity at the outer edge of the rod), and r is the radius of rotation.

4. What units are used for angular velocity?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). However, it can also be measured in revolutions per minute (rpm) or revolutions per second (rps).

5. How does angular velocity relate to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the radius of rotation. The linear velocity at the outer edge of a rotating object is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of rotation. This relationship is expressed as v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.