Solving Lagrangian Equation: Confused About Term Missing?

In summary, the conversation discusses a classical Lagrangian with a potential that is irrelevant for the question. The solution for \frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_{1}}\right) is given, but there seems to be a missing term. It is then suggested to subtract \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_{1}} from the expression, resulting in a complete solution for the Euler-Lagrange equation.
Silviu
Hello! I have a classical Lagrangian of the form $$L=A\dot{x_1}^2+B\dot{x_2}^2+C\dot{x_1}\dot{x_2}cos(x_1-x_2)- V$$ the potential is irrelevant for the question and A, B and C are constants. When doing $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_1}}$$ the solution gives this: $$2A\ddot{x_1}+C\ddot{x_2}cos(x_1-x_2)+C\dot{x_2}^2sin(x_1-x_2)$$ I am a bit confused. Don't we miss a term? At a point we do $$\frac{d(C\dot{x_2}cos(x_1-x_2))}{dt}$$ and they seem to treat ##x_1## as a constant. Don't we need to obtain $$C\ddot{x_2}cos(x_1-x_2)-C\dot{x_2}sin(x_1-x_2)(\dot{x_1}-\dot{x_2})$$? What am I missing? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
the solution gives
Solution of what? Shouldn’t you form the Euler-Lagrange equation?
What am I missing?
Subtract [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_{1}} = - C \dot{x}_{1} \dot{x}_{2} \sin (x_{1} - x_{2}) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial x_{1}},[/tex] from your expression for [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_{1}}\right) .[/tex]

1. How do I solve a Lagrangian equation?

To solve a Lagrangian equation, you first need to identify all the terms in the equation and assign variables to them. Then, you can use calculus techniques such as derivatives and integrals to find the minimum or maximum value of the equation.

2. What is a Lagrangian multiplier?

A Lagrangian multiplier is a constant that is used to incorporate constraints into the Lagrangian equation. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and helps to find the extreme values of the equation subject to the given constraints.

3. What is the difference between a Lagrangian and a Hamiltonian?

A Lagrangian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system using the positions and velocities of the particles in the system. On the other hand, a Hamiltonian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system using the positions and momenta of the particles in the system.

4. What is the significance of solving a Lagrangian equation?

Solving a Lagrangian equation helps to find the minimum or maximum value of a system's dynamics, which is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps to incorporate constraints into the equation and analyze the behavior of a system.

5. What should I do if I am confused about a missing term in the Lagrangian equation?

If you are confused about a missing term in the Lagrangian equation, you can check your calculations and make sure you have correctly identified all the terms in the equation. You can also consult with a peer or a professor for clarification or refer to resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for further understanding.