Solving the Quadratic Equation y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 for x in [0,2]

You're doing great!In summary, the conversation was about solving and integrating various equations, including finding the derivative of y^2=4(x+4)^3, solving for y=2(x+4)^3/2 and using different methods for integration such as substitution and trigonometric formulas. The experts provided helpful tips and resources for solving the equations and the conversation ended with the expert encouraging the individual to continue trying and providing positive feedback.
suspenc3
[tex]y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 0<=x<=2 ...y>0[/tex]

Ok..so do I just simplify it to y=etc... and then find the derivative and solve..I tried this and I get a kinda long derivative..just seems like it should be easier?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
suspenc3 said:
[tex]y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 0<=x<=2 ...y>0[/tex]

Ok..so do I just simplify it to y=etc... and then find the derivative and solve..I tried this and I get a kinda long derivative..just seems like it should be easier?

Thanks
Not all that "long" is it? the derivative of y2, with respect to x, is [itex]\2y \frac{dy}{dt} [/itex] and the derivative of 4(x+4)3 is 12(x+ 4)2 so differentiating both sides you get
[tex]2y \frac{dy}{dx}= 12(x+4)^2[/tex]
So what is [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]?

oh, i did it completely wrong..i took the root of both sides and hen tried to get the derivative

Whether you solve it implicitly (HallsofIvy's post) or explicitly (taking the rott, etc.) the result is the same: the implicit method gives

[tex]2y \frac{dy}{dx}= 12(x+4)^2\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{6(x+4)^2}{y} = \frac{6(x+4)^2}{2(x+4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=3(x+4)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

since solving the given equation for y gives [tex]y=2(x+4)^{\frac{3}{2}[/tex] and the positive root was chosen since y>0. This is the starting point for the explicit method, just differentiate the last expression

[tex]y=\frac{d}{dx}\left[ 2(x+4)^{\frac{3}{2}}\right] = 3(x+4)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

which is actually easier.

oohhh..Ok Thanks, I get it

start with u=x+4, then try a trig substitution

cant i just do..[tex]\int_0^2 \sqrt{1+(3(x+4)^1^/^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^2 \sqrt{37+9x}[/tex]

suspenc3 said:
cant i just do..[tex]\int_0^2 \sqrt{1+(3(x+4)^1^/^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^2 \sqrt{37+9x}[/tex]

Yes, absolutely: I was in error.

but wha tyou have there..is [tex] \sqrt{3(x+4)}^2 = 9(x+4)^2[/tex]..

shouldnt it be: [tex] \sqrt{3(x+4)}^2 = 8(x+4)[/tex]..which can be simplified and then its an easy substitution.

oh,,ok..Thanks!

use rather u=37+9x so that du=9dx to get

[tex]\int_0^2 \sqrt{37+9x} dx = \frac{1}{9}\int_{37}^{55} \sqrt{u}du[/tex]

Last edited:
how about this one:

[tex]y= \frac{x^5}{5} + \frac{1}{10x^3} 1>=x>=2[/tex]

I found the derivative to be [tex] \frac{5x^4}{6} - \frac{3}{10x^4}[/tex]..im kinda stuck here..should I just keep going and will I eventually see a substituion?

Last edited:
yes that is what i got..except du=9dx

if I have [tex] \int_0^\pi^/^3 sqrt{sec^2x}[/tex]..should I substitute u = sec^2x..or can it just be secx..and find the integral?

Last edited:
Do you mean [tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{3}\sqrt{sec^2x} dx[/tex]?

If yes, note that since secx is positive from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/3, then [tex]\sqrt{sec^2x}[/tex] is equivalent to secx.

There is a standard formula for evaulating [tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{3}secxdx[/tex]. Do you know what it is?

Last edited:
suspenc3 said:
how about this one:

[tex]y= \frac{x^5}{5} + \frac{1}{10x^3} 1>=x>=2[/tex]

I found the derivative to be [tex] \frac{5x^4}{6} - \frac{3}{10x^4}[/tex]..im kinda stuck here..should I just keep going and will I eventually see a substituion?

The derivative of [tex]y= \frac{x^5}{5} + \frac{1}{10x^3}[/tex] is [tex]y^{\prime}= x^4 - \frac{3}{10x^4}[/tex]

ohh..sorry its suppose to be [tex]y= \frac{x^5}{6} + \frac{1}{10x^3} 1>=x>=2[/tex]

and for pizzasky..no I don't know how..I found some stuff on the internet concerning the integral of secx..I never knew this integral up until now..so I am guessing there's another way

Oh..That explains it..so when I get the integral it is going to be

[tex] ln|sec \pi /3tan \pi /3| -ln|sec0tan0[/tex]..the second part isn't going to exist will it..how is this going to afffect my answer?

Read carefully... Are you supposed to multiply the secant and tangent terms for the integral?

suspenc3 said:
how about this one:

[tex]y=\frac{x^5}{6}+\frac{1}{10x^3} \ \ \ \ 1 \leq x \leq 2[/tex]

I found the derivative to be [tex]\frac{5x^4}{6}-\frac{3}{10x^4}[/tex]..im kinda stuck here..should I just keep going and will I eventually see a substitution?
Keep going! Sometimes, in integration problems (and all Mathematics problems in general), you just have to try.

Last edited:
ahh..i got them both, they weren't too hard.

expand out [tex]1+\left( \frac{5x^4}{6}-\frac{3}{10x^4}\right) ^{2}[/tex] and get a common denominator, does the square root go away now?

Yea I got it..Now this one:

[tex]y=cos2x[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = -2sin2x[/tex]
[tex]S=2 \pi \int_0^{\pi /6} cos2x \sqrt{1+4sin^22x}dx[/tex]

does this look right so far?

yep, keep going.

Related to Solving the Quadratic Equation y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 for x in [0,2]

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest exponent of the variable is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use several methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. In this case, we can use the formula y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 to find the value of x in the given range.

3. What does the given equation y^2 = 4(x+4)^3 represent?

This equation represents a parabola with the vertex at (-4,0). The value of y^2 on the left side of the equation means that the parabola is symmetrical along the x-axis. The value of 4 on the right side of the equation determines the steepness of the curve.

4. What is the range of values for x in this equation?

The given equation has a restriction of x in the range of [0,2]. This means that the values of x can only be between 0 and 2, including the limits.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution for x?

Yes, this equation can have more than one solution for x in the given range. However, since it is a cubic equation, it can have up to three solutions. In this case, we can solve for x using the quadratic formula and get two real solutions.