Solving U-Substitution Problem: Integrate x/sqrt(x+1)dx

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: because ##u = x + 1##, so ##x = u - 1##, so ##\frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{1}{3}(u - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{2}{3}(u - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{1}{3}(u - 1)^{\frac{3}{2}}##, so the text answer is off by a constant.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x + 1}}dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First, I let ##u = x + 1##. Then ##du = dx## and ##x = u - 1##.

So ##\displaystyle \int \frac{u - 1}{\sqrt{u}}du = \int u^{\frac{1}{2}} - u^{-\frac{1}{2}}du = \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{4}} - 2u^{\frac{1}{2}} + C = \frac{2}{3}u\sqrt{u} - 2u + C = \frac{2}{3}u(\sqrt{u} - 3) + C = \frac{2}{3}(x + 1)(\sqrt{x + 1} - 3) + C##

However, the answer book says that the correct answer is ##\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}(x - 1)\sqrt{x + 1} + C##

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check what ##\int u^{p}du## is for ##p \neq -1##. You made a mistake when computing one of the integrals.

Mr Davis 97 said:
##\frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{4}} - 2u^{\frac{1}{2}} + C = \frac{2}{3}u\sqrt{u} - 2u + C##
Also, in the above step something went wrong.

Hmm, I find a slightly different result than what your book says ...

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

So ##\displaystyle \int \frac{u - 1}{\sqrt{u}}du = \int u^{\frac{1}{2}} - u^{-\frac{1}{2}}du = \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{4}}##
You don't mean ##u^{\frac{3}{4}}##there.
## - 2u^{\frac{1}{2}} + C = \frac{2}{3}u\sqrt{u} - 2u + C##

and you don't mean ##2u## there.

Fix that, and with a little care you will find the text answer is correct.

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

So ##\displaystyle \int \frac{u - 1}{\sqrt{u}}du = \int u^{\frac{1}{2}} - u^{-\frac{1}{2}}du = \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{4}} - 2u^{\frac{1}{2}} + C = \frac{2}{3}u\sqrt{u} - 2u + C = \frac{2}{3}u(\sqrt{u} - 3) + C = \frac{2}{3}(x + 1)(\sqrt{x + 1} - 3) + C##

However, the answer book says that the correct answer is ##\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}(x - 1)\sqrt{x + 1} + C##

What am I doing wrong?

The book's answer is incorrect; differentiate it wrt x to see that it fails to give back the integrand ##x/\sqrt{x+1}##.

Mr Davis 97 said:

What am I doing wrong?

Ray Vickson said:
The book's answer is incorrect; differentiate it wrt x to see that it fails to give back the integrand ##x/\sqrt{x+1}##.

Yes. I made the same silly error the book did. The text answer should have been$$
\frac{2}{3}(x - 2)\sqrt{x + 1} + C$$

1. What is u-substitution and when is it used?

U-substitution, also known as the substitution rule, is a method used in calculus to simplify the integration of a function. It is typically used when the function being integrated contains a complex expression or multiple terms.

2. How is u-substitution applied?

To apply u-substitution, you must first select a new variable "u" and replace it with the complex expression or multiple terms. Then, you must find the derivative of u with respect to x and substitute it into the original integral. This will allow you to rewrite the integral in terms of u, making it easier to solve.

3. What is the main benefit of using u-substitution?

The main benefit of u-substitution is that it simplifies the integration process and allows for easier evaluation of integrals. It can also be used to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using u-substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations to using u-substitution. It can only be used for definite integrals and not indefinite integrals. Additionally, it may not work for all integrals and may require additional algebraic manipulation to solve.

5. Can u-substitution be used for all types of functions?

No, u-substitution is only applicable for certain types of functions. It is most commonly used for integrals that contain polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric functions. It may not work for more complex functions or those that do not have a clear substitution variable.