Solving z(r) Equation with Boundary Conditions

In summary, The conversation is about finding the general solutions to the equation z(r)=\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{z_r r}{(1+z_r^2)^{1/2}}\right] with boundary conditions z_r(0)=z_{ro} and z(\infty)=0. The equation arises in surface tension physics. Various attempts and changes of variables have been made, but a closed solution has not yet been found. One suggestion is to try setting z_{r}=Sinh(u(r)) and solve for u(r), but it is uncertain if this will lead to a solution.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am looking for the general solutions of this equation in [tex]z(r)[/tex]
If someone remembers well, this equation arises in surface tension physics.

[tex]z(r)=\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{z_r r}{(1+z_r^2)^{1/2}}\right][/tex]

subject to the boundary conditions

[tex]z_r(0)=z_{ro}[/tex] and
[tex]z(\infty)=0[/tex]

I only come up with rough approximations expanding the RHS around r=0, but I don't realize how might a closed solution be obtained.

Any hints?

Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between z(r) and zr(r)?

i.e. is the equation -
[tex]z_r(r)=\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{z_r r}{(1+z_r^2)^{1/2}}\right][/tex] ?

Clausius2 said:
I am looking for the general solutions of this equation in [tex]z(r)[/tex]
If someone remembers well, this equation arises in surface tension physics.

[tex]z(r)=\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{z_r r}{(1+z_r^2)^{1/2}}\right][/tex]

subject to the boundary conditions

[tex]z_r(0)=z_{ro}[/tex] and
[tex]z(\infty)=0[/tex]

I only come up with rough approximations expanding the RHS around r=0, but I don't realize how might a closed solution be obtained.

Any hints?

Sorry Astro, [tex]z_r=dz/dr[/tex] as in usual notation. The original equation is the right one. I am trying to solve the equation of the surface of a thin film of water over an sphere. In fact if one tries the change of variable [tex]\phi=z_r/\sqrt{z_r^2+1}[/tex] the equation is reduced to [tex]\phi'+\phi/r=2\sqrt{1-\phi^2}[/tex], but again I don't find a way of how to solve this.

Clausius2 said:
Sorry Astro, [tex]z_r=dz/dr[/tex] as in usual notation. The original equation is the right one. I am trying to solve the equation of the surface of a thin film of water over an sphere. In fact if one tries the change of variable [tex]\phi=z_r/\sqrt{z_r^2+1}[/tex] the equation is reduced to [tex]\phi'+\phi/r=2\sqrt{1-\phi^2}[/tex], but again I don't find a way of how to solve this.

My last change of variable is wrong, and the resulting equation too. I've just realized of that.

Well, I thought struck me, I'm sure it's dumb:
If you set [itex]z_{r}=Sinh(u(r))[/itex] and differentiate your equation, you get:
[tex]Sinh(u)=\frac{d}{dr}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(rTanh(u))[/tex]
Perhaps you can solve for u(r) now, but I have to admit I doubt it..

Last edited:

Related to Solving z(r) Equation with Boundary Conditions

1. What is the purpose of solving the z(r) equation with boundary conditions?

The purpose of solving the z(r) equation with boundary conditions is to determine the relationship between the two variables, z and r, within a specific system. By applying boundary conditions, we can set constraints on the values of z and r at the boundaries of the system, allowing us to find the unique solution to the equation.

2. How do boundary conditions affect the solution to the z(r) equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the solution to the z(r) equation. By specifying the values of z and r at the boundaries of the system, we can eliminate certain solutions and narrow down the possible solutions to the equation. This ultimately leads to finding the unique solution that satisfies both the equation and the boundary conditions.

3. What are some common types of boundary conditions used in solving the z(r) equation?

Some common types of boundary conditions used in solving the z(r) equation include Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the value of the dependent variable (z) at the boundaries, and Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the value of the derivative of the dependent variable (z) at the boundaries. Other types include Robin boundary conditions, which combine Dirichlet and Neumann conditions, and periodic boundary conditions, which impose the same values at opposite boundaries.

4. Can boundary conditions be applied to any type of z(r) equation?

Boundary conditions can generally be applied to any type of z(r) equation, as long as it is well-defined and has a unique solution. However, the specific type of boundary conditions used may vary depending on the nature of the equation and the system being studied.

5. How do physicists and engineers use solutions to the z(r) equation with boundary conditions?

Solutions to the z(r) equation with boundary conditions are commonly used in various fields of physics and engineering to model and predict the behavior of systems. For example, they can be used to understand the flow of fluids through pipes, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the propagation of waves. By finding the unique solution to the equation with specific boundary conditions, scientists and engineers can make accurate predictions and design efficient systems.