Some #$%@*$ stole my &$*%# clothes

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: No, just the pants. :sad:In summary, someone stole some of my clothes from the laundrymat. I'm sorry that happened and hope the person is caught.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
some #$%@*$ stole my &!$*%# clothes!

went to the laundrymat this morning. washed my clothes, then put them in the dryer. I was starving so I walked across the shopping center to get a sandwich. I was gone 10 minutes. Came back and the dryer was open, clothes were gone. :frown: :cry:

I know it's my own fault but DANG! how low. :mad:

the total take was: 4 pairs of jeans (all that I own), 1 pair pants, 2 shirts, 1 sweater.

the owner of the place is very nice. I've been going there for years so I know him pretty well. he has a video tape he is looking at, but still, I will probably never see my clothes again.

I have a low opinion of people right now.:frown:

moral of the story: don't walk away from your laundry at the laundromat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch, I'm sorry...! I've heard of that happening! I do hope they find who does it, so you can get your clothes back. I've had stuff taken from me from a laundry mat, but lucky never clothes. Good luck getting them back...

That sucks. Find the person on tape, they will come back to the laudrymat in the next day or two. Then call the police on him. He will have to hang around for a good hour as those cloths wash. The police will show up before he's done.

Thanks, SS and Cyrus. There is a security staff that patrols the center so I'm hoping we got a shot of them on tape, and they can be on the lookout. We have started having a transient problem though so it may have just been someone passing through who saw an opportunity. There are places around that buy old jeans so they could resell them quickly.

I just went shopping. Bought some new stuff. It was the only way to get over it.

MIH, I am sorry to here of your misfortune. :frown:

*Gives MIH a hug* :smile:

Please don't let the action of one bad person ruin your opinion of people, but that was certainly a mean and low thing to do. :grumpy:

Hee hee, they stole your pants.

Seriously though, hope they catch the buggers love, and give them what for!

Math Is Hard said:
went to the laundrymat this morning. washed my clothes, then put them in the dryer. I was starving so I walked across the shopping center to get a sandwich. I was gone 10 minutes. Came back and the dryer was open, clothes were gone. :frown: :cry:

I know it's my own fault but DANG! how low. :mad:

the total take was: 4 pairs of jeans (all that I own), 1 pair pants, 2 shirts, 1 sweater.

the owner of the place is very nice. I've been going there for years so I know him pretty well. he has a video tape he is looking at, but still, I will probably never see my clothes again.

I have a low opinion of people right now.:frown:

moral of the story: don't walk away from your laundry at the laundromat.
That stinks! I had a dress stolen once, which was weird, they only took one article. All your clothes has to be really bad.

Hope they find the scum. :devil:

Wow! That's pretty low. I've never heard of someone stealing clothes from a laundromat. Usually the biggest risk of leaving your clothes unattended is if they get busy and someone decides not to wait for you to return to toss your clothes in a heap somewhere while they use the washer.

I used to do as you did all the time when I still used laundromats...I'd go next door for pizza or a sandwich (there was both a pizza parlor and a deli in the same plaza as the laundromat) while the clothes were washing. I never worried about the clothes, just made sure I took all my quarters with me.

Well, it sounds like it was a good excuse to go shopping anyway. :smile: I hope they catch the person who did it, or that the person was truly so needy as to have to steal clothing.

The least they could have done was steal them while they were still dirty, not wait for you to wash them, then take them. :grumpy:

Thanks, Nuc. I appreciate it. I guess I should be grateful it was only clothes. I would have been much unhappier if my laptop got swiped. Or if something irreplaceable went missing, like my kitty. Clothes are replaceable. I'd lost some weight anyway and needed to get some smaller jeans. I was getting the droopy drawers effect! :rofl:

Thanks, Noggie. Uh oh, what does pants mean in the UK? They didn't get my undies - thank goodness!:redface:

That sounds kinda creepy, Evo. Did they take your dress from the laundry?

Moonbear said:
The least they could have done was steal them while they were still dirty, not wait for you to wash them, then take them. :grumpy:
No doubt! That was the insult to injury part! Dang it! grrrrrr

Huh, I had the opposite problem. I got home from doing my laundry at the mall today, and found I had, like, 6 pairs of pants I've never seen before, a couple of shirts and a sweater that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, they weren't my size so I cut em up for rags.

The local laundromat has automatic locks on the washing machines. Once you close the door and put the coins in, its locked until it finishes. I found this out the hard way when I put the soap in, closed the door, put the coins in, and selected the cycle - it started and I couldn't open the door. I still hadn't put the clothes in :grumpy: I only made that mistake once. :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
Huh, I had the opposite problem. I got home from doing my laundry at the mall today, and found I had, like, 6 pairs of pants I've never seen before, a couple of shirts and a sweater that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, they weren't my size so I cut em up for rags.

LIAR! You're wearing my sexy hot pink UCLA baby doll t-shirt right now, aren't you!? Aren't you?!:grumpy:

Astronuc said:
The local laundromat has automatic locks on the washing machines. Once you close the door and put the coins in, its locked until it finishes. I found this out the hard way when I put the soap in, closed the door, put the coins in, and selected the cycle - it started and I couldn't open the door. I still hadn't put the clothes in :grumpy: I only made that mistake once. :rolleyes:
oh crud! well, you gave the machine a good cleaning anyway!:rofl:

awww MIH, that blows! I've never heard of that either, but i don't use laundry mats much. i hope your new clothes are super awesome. like you said, those older things were too big. now you look all cute in your brand new threads!

I didn't know world still has such idiots around to steal somebody's clothes. I assume it was a hoax, and those clothes lie somewhere in the bushes now, otherwise you must have had some beautiful and expensive clothes. I always leave my loundry, go home, and come back after 40 minutes. Hmm, hope you find your clothes back, and the clothe looter too.

Gale said:
awww MIH, that blows! I've never heard of that either, but i don't use laundry mats much. i hope your new clothes are super awesome. like you said, those older things were too big. now you look all cute in your brand new threads!

"super awesome" :tongue:

Thanks Gale and everybody for taking a minute to cheer me up. It helped. Really, it did. Bless your sweet heart, heartless. :biggrin:

I see my friend curious4321 reading this thread, I hope he does not get his panties in a bunch.

Math Is Hard said:
LIAR! You're wearing my sexy hot pink UCLA baby doll t-shirt right now, aren't you!? Aren't you?!:grumpy:
No.

I'm using it as pillow case.

Moonbear said:

I used to do as you did all the time when I still used laundromats...I'd go next door for pizza or a sandwich (there was both a pizza parlor and a deli in the same plaza as the laundromat) while the clothes were washing. I never worried about the clothes, just made sure I took all my quarters with me.

A local establishment called "Suds and Suds" took care of this problem nicley... The second suds was beer.

Math Is Hard said:
That sounds kinda creepy, Evo. Did they take your dress from the laundry?
Yeah, either they got caught in the act and had to leave, or they didn't like my taste in clothes. :grumpy:

Integral said:
A local establishment called "Suds and Suds" took care of this problem nicley... The second suds was beer.
If a place near here did that, I'd probably be heading over to that bar for some suds...and single men! :biggrin: That would almost guarantee finding a few of them at the laundromat (I was never successful at that at the one I used to go to...apparently if the laundromat also offers a laundry service where they charge by the pound for someone else to wash your clothes, all the men seem to use that instead of doing their own). :grumpy:

A not-so-bright laundromat thief:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2006/apr/11/041110039.html
Elko laundromat thief took cameras, forgot videotape

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ELKO, Nev. (AP) - A man accused of burglarizing a laundromat in Elko figured he made a clean escape over the weekend when he took off with the store's six video surveillance cameras.

But it turns out he left some rather compelling evidence behind - the video machine and videotape that recorded his face each time he stood in front of the cameras at the Southside Laundry.

Elko police said they came away with several close-ups of the suspect, Robert Lynn White, 52, Elko.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math, the exact same thing happened to me about a dozen years ago. I suspect kleptomania because my clothes weren't remotely worth stealing and someone would have to be taking a gamble on the size being one they could use. Some people take stuff simply because it isn't nailed down.

At any rate, it does leave you feeling violated, much the same as if someone robbed your apartement, which also happened to me once.

Hopefully someone will catch this person in the act and a stop will be put to it.

Women in jeans and pants :grumpy: what would the world come to is men wore skirts.

zoobyshoe said:
Math, the exact same thing happened to me about a dozen years ago. I suspect kleptomania because my clothes weren't remotely worth stealing and someone would have to be taking a gamble on the size being one they could use. Some people take stuff simply because it isn't nailed down.

At any rate, it does leave you feeling violated, much the same as if someone robbed your apartement, which also happened to me once.

Hopefully someone will catch this person in the act and a stop will be put to it.
Yeah, I'm still pretty mad about it. I tossed and turned last night. Couldn't sleep. I just wanted to know where my things were. It was driving me crazy. Were they in someone's huge pile of laundry waiting to be discovered? Were they in the trash? A second hand clothing store? :frown:

One of the shirts that was snatched was an expensive dress shirt that I wore when I gave training classes. I am going to miss that. And my favorite pair of jeans that were perfectly tailored.:cry:

It was a sickening feeling. I burst into tears at the laundrymat when I discovered they were gone. I was sobbing like Pengwuino after an exam. Some nice ladies came over and consoled me. One even hugged me.

wolram said:
Women in jeans and pants :grumpy: what would the world come to is men wore skirts.
I guess it would be sort of like Scotland where the men where kilts?

*I like kilts very much, actually. Especially if the guy has nice knees*:blushing:

Math Is Hard said:
I guess it would be sort of like Scotland where the men where kilts?

*I like kilts very much, actually. Especially if the guy has nice knees*:blushing:

If you could sort of squint your eyes to the dings and dents, i have very mobile knees, but they have nothing on the curvy linear female ones.

Math Is Hard said:
Yeah, I'm still pretty mad about it. I tossed and turned last night. Couldn't sleep. I just wanted to know where my things were. It was driving me crazy. Were they in someone's huge pile of laundry waiting to be discovered? Were they in the trash? A second hand clothing store? :frown:

One of the shirts that was snatched was an expensive dress shirt that I wore when I gave training classes. I am going to miss that. And my favorite pair of jeans that were perfectly tailored.:cry:

It was a sickening feeling. I burst into tears at the laundrymat when I discovered they were gone. I was sobbing like Pengwuino after an exam. Some nice ladies came over and consoled me. One even hugged me.
:cry: <hugs MIH>

I'm just still savouring the vision of you hiking across the mall naked to get a sandwich. :tongue2:

wolram said:
If you could sort of squint your eyes to the dings and dents, i have very mobile knees, but they have nothing on the curvy linear female ones.
I am sure you'd look awesome in a kilt, Wol. :approve:
evo said:
<hugs MIH>
Thanks, evo! I need my sisters here to go shopping with me.
danger said:
I'm just still savouring the vision of you hiking across the mall naked to get a sandwich.
I saw a commercial like that once - except I think it was a guy doing laundry. He put all his laundry in and then stripped off his shirt and pants and threw them in the wash. He was walking around in his boxers and the chicks were all checking him out. It was cute. :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
I caught a guy in the act of stealing my clothes from a laundromat once. He said "uh, I'm from New York so I thought I could have this...", I said "well, you can't...", and then he took off (on foot :rolleyes:).

Aether said:
I caught a guy in the act of stealing my clothes from a laundromat once. He said "uh, I'm from New York so I thought I could have this...", I said "well, you can't...", and then he took off (on foot :rolleyes:).
Good lord! I am still trying to figure out that excuse. Maybe that was the strategy - say something so non-sequitur that the victim will have to stop and ponder it, then dash off. I am glad you caught the thief.

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago when I saw a guy open my dryer and reach in. I said, "'scuse me, that's mine" and he backed away apologetically. I thought it was nothing more than an innocent mistake, but maybe he was out to purloin my clothes. I am seeing things in a more suspicious light now, I guess.

Math Is Hard said:
Good lord! I am still trying to figure out that excuse. Maybe that was the strategy - say something so non-sequitur that the victim will have to stop and ponder it, then dash off.
It's a weird thing to say, like "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rather#.22Kenneth.2C_what_is_the_frequency.3F.22

I am glad you caught the thief.

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago when I saw a guy open my dryer and reach in. I said, "'scuse me, that's mine" and he backed away apologetically. I thought it was nothing more than an innocent mistake, but maybe he was out to purloin my clothes. I am seeing things in a more suspicious light now, I guess.
I didn't really "catch" him, just interrupted and spoke with him. Who knows how desperate and crazy such a person could be? I wouldn't have tried to stop him if he had kept packing up all of my clothes and then left with them. It's not worth it, especially if this happens to you when you are by yourself.