Calculating Impact Speed After Distracted Driving

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two cars traveling at the same speed with one needing to brake suddenly. The question asks for the separation between the two cars after the incident. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem but has run out of attempts and is looking for guidance on how to do it correctly. They have provided equations and their attempts at solving the problem. They also express frustration with not receiving any replies to their question. The expert suggests using a graphing method to check understanding and provide an approximate solution.
IronBrain

Homework Statement

I've seen this problem on here only twice, once never answered, and the other just saying the OP's "solution" was on the right track

Problem:

Code:
You are arguing over a cell phone while trailing an unmarked police car by 37 m. Both your car and the police car are traveling at 110 km/h. Your argument diverts your attention from the police car for 1.5 s (long enough for you to look at the phone and yell, "I won't do that!"). At the beginning of that 1.5 s, the police officer begins emergency braking at 5 m/s2.

Question
Code:
B. 
(b) Suppose that you take another 0.4 s to realize your danger and begin braking. If you too brake at 5 m/s2, what is your speed when you hit the police car?

I've ran out of attempts to earn points for this equation however, I want to know how to do it correctly, I looked at a previous example somewhere, best I can find.

Homework Equations

Question A:
Code:
(a) What is the separation between the two cars when your attention finally returns?

I solved this by simply converting the speed into m/s finding the amount of distance the cop traveled when he began to de accelerate for 1.5's at -5 m/s^2 and then the distance at which I travel for 1.5's, Adding the distance traveled for duration to 37 m (position of cop car) and adding the distance which I travel for duration to 0 to assume something similar to x/y plane, I arrived at 32 m for that duration which was correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've ran out of attempts to earn points for this equation however, I want to know how to do it correctly, I looked at a previous example somewhere, best I can find.

First going back to square 1, I have a new time t = 1.9, I use the related question above formula to find the distance traveled by both cop car and my car for this duration. As shown here

Formula to find my distance traveled

[itex]Dist = Speed x Time = 30.55 m/s x 1.9 = 58.045 m[/itex]

Distance traveled by cop car de-accelerating

[itex]D(t) = -2.5t^2+30.55t = -2.5(1.9^2)+30.55(1.9) = 49.02[/itex]

To find new distance of separation, adding the distance travel when cop begins to brake to 37, equates to 86.02 subtracting my distance from this distance equates to 86.02 - 58.045 = 27.975

Now after this time duration I begin to de-accelerate as well, I first find the velocity of the cop at the end of this time period, here, equates to

[itex]v(t) = -5(1.9)+30.55 = 21.05 [/itex]

Making a new equations for both car's positions and new equation for cop's velocity so I can find the time which they impact or "intersect" I arrive to

Cop's New Velocity Formula
[itex] -5(t)+21.05[/itex]

Cop's Position Formula
[itex]-2.5(t^2)+21.05(t)+27.975[/itex]

My Car's Velocity Formula
[itex]-5(t) + 30.55[/itex]

My Car's Position Formula
[itex]-2.5(t^2)+30.55(t)[/itex]

Now setting these two new position formulas/functions to each other and solving for t, and plugging the time into my car's velocity formula and converting the units over back to km/h I will arrive at a possible solution

Solving for time, t.

[itex]-2.5(t^2)+30.55(t) = -2.5(t^2)+21.05(t)+27.975[/itex]

[itex]30.55(t)-21.05(t) = 27.975[/itex]

[itex]9.5t=27.975[/itex]

[itex]t = 2.9394 s[/itex]

Plugging this into the formula for my velocity

[itex]-5(2.9394)+30.55 = 15.853 m/s[/itex]

Converting this back to km / h equates to 57.0708 km/h

Is this correct? The only mistake I can see why my original solution, not posted here, of 54.9954, was because I was not using a calculator and was doing arithmetic by hand, obviously not too efficient

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump...100 views and no replies

WTF BUMP, I am trying to get some help to learn

IronBrain said:
(DELETED) BUMP, I am trying to get some help to learn
However frustrated you may feel, swearing at the forum is not going to encourage members to help you.

That said, with problems of this kind you might try plotting the equations as graphs. Do you have access to a spreadsheet program?

This method won't give really accurate answers, but it can help to check your understanding and can provide an approximate check on your mathematical solutions.

1. What is the definition of "Speed of Impact Typical"?

The "Speed of Impact Typical" refers to the average velocity at which an object collides with another object.

2. How is the speed of impact typically measured?

The speed of impact is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) using specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras or accelerometers.

3. What factors can affect the speed of impact?

The speed of impact can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle of impact, and the presence of any external forces or resistances.

4. Can the speed of impact be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the speed of impact can be calculated or predicted using mathematical formulas and principles such as conservation of momentum and energy. However, the accuracy of these calculations may vary depending on the complexity of the impact scenario.

5. Why is understanding the speed of impact important in scientific research?

The speed of impact is crucial in scientific research as it can provide valuable insights into the dynamics and consequences of collisions, such as in the fields of engineering, materials science, and biomechanics. It can also help in developing safety protocols and designing protective measures against high-impact events.