Why Is My Calculation of dS/dt for a Shrinking Spherical Raindrop Incorrect?

• Thread starter Jay Chang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spherical
In summary, the problem involves finding differential equations for the volume, surface area, and radius of a spherical raindrop as a function of time, with the rate of change of volume being equal to -k times the surface area and the rate of change of radius being equal to -k. The solution involves finding the derivative of the surface area and using it to solve for the radius in terms of volume, but the exact solution is still being determined. The use of LaTeX can also be helpful in writing out equations more clearly.
Jay Chang

Homework Statement

A spherical raindrop evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area with (positive) constant of proportionality k; i.e. the rate of change of the volume exactly equals −k times the surface area. Write differential equations for each of the quantities below as a function of time. For each case the right hand side should be a function of the dependent variable and the constant k. For example, the answer to the first question should not depend on S or r.

Homework Equations

I was able to find dV/dt, dr/dt using mathematical models but I can't figure out why my answer isn't right for dS(surface area)/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

My dV/dt is -k\left(36\pi \right)^{\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)}V^{\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)}
My dr/dt is -k.
Because the equation for the surface area is 4*pi*r^2, the derivative of this would be 8*pi*r dr/dt.
Thus, this can be rewritten as -8k*pi*r. However, because my right side cannot include any independent variables, I must write by r in terms of Volume, which is r = (3V/4pi)^(1/3). So I put down my answer using these but in turns out its wrong so I'm kinda lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my second attempt. My s is s = ((36pi)^(1/3))*V^(2/3). Taking the derivative of this would be {(2((36pi)^(1/3))*V^(-1/3))/3}*(dv/dt). And I think plugging in dv/dt would give me a solution but if that's the case, I don't know why my answer would differ.

Also, if there's any way to put down formulas without using brackets and stuff, would much appreciate it if someone can tell me

According to the problem statement, the DE for the surface area should not contain the volume. Also, you can use LaTeX through mathjax. See the latex part of the about page.

1. What is the spherical raindrop problem?

The spherical raindrop problem is a mathematical and scientific question that asks how a raindrop becomes spherical as it falls through the air. It is a classic problem in fluid dynamics and is important for understanding the dynamics of rain and other droplets in the atmosphere.

2. Why does a raindrop become spherical?

A raindrop becomes spherical due to surface tension, which is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to contract and minimize its surface area. As the raindrop falls through the air, it is constantly pulled down by gravity and pushed up by air resistance. The surface tension acts to minimize the surface area, resulting in a spherical shape.

3. Is the spherical raindrop problem solved?

While there are various theories and models that attempt to explain the spherical raindrop problem, it is still an active area of research and there is no definitive answer. The problem is complicated by factors such as air turbulence, varying drop sizes, and collisions with other droplets.

4. How does the size of a raindrop affect its shape?

The size of a raindrop does play a role in its shape. Smaller raindrops tend to be more spherical, while larger raindrops may be more elongated or flattened due to the increased influence of air resistance. However, surface tension still plays a dominant role in shaping all raindrops.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the spherical raindrop problem?

Understanding the spherical raindrop problem has practical applications in weather forecasting and climate modeling. By accurately predicting the shape and behavior of raindrops, scientists can improve their understanding of precipitation patterns and the impact of rainfall on the environment. Additionally, this problem has implications for industries such as agriculture and aviation, where raindrop size and shape can affect crop growth and aircraft performance.