Static Friction and angle of Repose

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment to determine the static friction of a wooden block on a horizontal wooden plank. The first part of the experiment yielded a Mu s value of 0.246, while the second part, where the angle between the plank and horizontal was increased, resulted in a Mu s value of 0.306. The percent difference between these two values was calculated to be 21.69%. The question was raised as to whether the percent difference should be as small as possible, and if Mu s should theoretically be the same regardless of the angle. The experimenter determined Mu s for the horizontal plank by adding masses to one side until the block started moving with a constant speed. Possible sources of error were discussed
genu
I did an experiment where I had to determine the static friction of a wooden block on a horizontal wooden plank.

I determined Mu s for that to be 0.246

I then used the same block and plank, but this time I tried to determine Mu s by increasing the angle between the plank and the horizontal. I basically raised one side of the plank until the block started sliding...and recorded that angle as the angle of repose. I got Mu s for this part of the experiment to be 0.306

now I had to calculate the percent difference: ((.246-.306)/average) * 100

and I got 21.69 %

Shouldn't the percent difference be as small as possible? I assumed that Mu s would theoretically be the same no matter what angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine the μ for the horizontal plank?

You may have lots of sources of errors.

But to answer your question, yes it is usually agreeable to be able to reconcile the theoretical with the observed.

You may want to consider how the differences in your results arose.

Attached how I've setup the experiment for the horizontal. (I determined mu s by adding masses to m2 until the m1 started moving with constant speed) -- at least I tried to maintain a constant speed.

Attached is also the data for Experiment 1 and 2. (i'm comparing only the wood from experiment 2)

as you can see the Mu s is not very different from either experiment...

Attachments

• experiment-1-setup.jpg
    experiment-1-setup.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 473
  • experiment-1-data.jpg
    experiment-1-data.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 461
  • experiment-2-data.jpg
    experiment-2-data.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 401
I can't see your pics, but ...

If you were maintaining constant speed you were measuring kinetic friction that is always less than static, the point at which it begins to slide.

Other sources of error are not pulling exactly horizontal for instance. Slightly up lightens the loading, down increases the loading. Or measuring the angle ± a degree or so, as you tilt it, etc. Or reading the scale as you are pulling. etc.

I think LowlyPion has pointed out the major source of error.

Some other things to think about:

Although I'm doing some fast hand waving about repeatability and error, someone of your level, with what I expect to be your equipment, should probably only use one significant figure for wood on wood.

What species wood? Some woods exhibit stiction.

Did you change the grain orientation?

And, did you have the same normal force each time?

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs between two surfaces that are not in motion relative to each other. It is the force that prevents an object from sliding or moving when a force is applied to it.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is different from kinetic friction because it only occurs when two surfaces are not in motion relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when two surfaces are moving against each other.

3. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a value that represents the amount of force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces. It is dependent on the nature of the two surfaces in contact and is unique for each pair of surfaces.

4. What is the angle of repose?

The angle of repose is the maximum angle at which an object can be placed on a flat surface without sliding. It is determined by the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface it is placed on.

5. How does the angle of repose affect the stability of an object?

The angle of repose plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. If an object is placed on a surface with an angle of repose greater than its own, it will slide and become unstable. On the other hand, if the angle of repose is less than the object's, it will remain stable and not slide.