Statics: Point loads on columns

hongct9791
Homework Statement
I've been dealing with point loads on beams, but don't know much about columns. Thank you!
Relevant Equations
N/A
螢幕擷取畫面 (82).png

If it was about beams, I would usually do clockwise and anti-clockwise first, taking moments on A/B, clockwise forces times distance = anti-clockwise forces times distance, since its in equilibrium.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @hongct9791 !

You may turn the drawing sideways and approach the problem like you do for a beam.
A column is a structural element that works mainly under compression loads that align with its long axis.
Having those three reactions at one end, shows that there is a fixed type of structural support at that point.

Copied from
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_support

“Fixed support:

Rigid or fixed supports maintain the angular relationship between the joined elements and provide both force and moment resistance. It exerts forces acting in any direction and prevents all translational movements (horizontal and vertical) as well as all rotational movements of a member.”

The external axial force only contributes to the internal compression of the column and to the reaction Vb, as its line of action goes through the center of the support.
The external forces that are oriented perpendicularly to the column contribute to both reactions at the support, Hb y Mb.

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/euler-column-formula-d_1813.html

Likes hongct9791

1. What is a point load on a column?

A point load on a column is a concentrated force applied at a specific point on a column. This force can be either vertical or horizontal and is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How do point loads affect the stability of a column?

Point loads can significantly affect the stability of a column by creating bending moments and shear forces. These forces can cause the column to deform or even fail if they exceed the column's capacity to resist them.

3. How do I calculate the magnitude and direction of a point load on a column?

The magnitude and direction of a point load on a column can be calculated using the principles of statics. The force can be determined by considering the equilibrium of forces acting on the column and using trigonometric functions to determine the direction of the force.

4. What factors should be considered when applying point loads on columns?

When applying point loads on columns, it is essential to consider the magnitude, direction, and location of the load. The material and cross-sectional properties of the column should also be taken into account to ensure that the column can withstand the applied load without failure.

5. How can I ensure that my column can withstand the applied point loads?

To ensure that a column can withstand the applied point loads, it is crucial to perform structural analysis and calculations using appropriate engineering principles and software. It is also essential to follow building codes and standards to ensure the safety and stability of the column.