Statics problem: A ramp is supported by two cables

In summary: But it might also be because they are referring to the moment about point A, of the force that is applied at point C not at point G. The two moments might be equal in magnitude, but the point of application differs (and the direction reverses).
Camailee
Homework Statement
The ramp ABCD is supported by cables at corners C and D. The tensile force in both cables is 420N. Determine the moment about point A produced by the force exerted at point C.
Relevant Equations
Moment at A (MA) = rGA x TCG.
Where rGA = GA/|GA|
TCG = 420N
Problem illustration:
IMG_20210107_212412.jpg

The possible answers are:
IMG_20210107_210036.jpg

I don't understand why it says Mc if it is asking for the moment at A, not C. But maybe I am getting something wrong.

So with the formulas I posted above, I have this:
IMG_20210107_212105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is that you insert ##r_{GA}## in the formula for the moment while you should insert ##r_{CA}##. It is the moment about point A, of the force that is applied at point C not at point G.

What you did is calculate the moment about A, of the force that is applied at point G which is not what is asked for. The forces at G and C might be equal in magnitude , but the point of application differs (and the direction reverses).

Delta2 said:
Your mistake is that you insert ##r_{GA}## in the formula for the moment while you should insert ##r_{CA}##. It is the moment about point A, of the force that is applied at point C not at point G.

What you did is calculate the moment about A, of the force that is applied at point G which is not what is asked for. The forces at G and C might be equal in magnitude , but the point of application differs (and the direction reverses).

Thank you for your answer Delta2. Was really helpful!

I understand what you mean. In fact the approach you mentioned is the one I thought first. I did it and the answer I got wasn't included on all the possible answers.

IMG_20210108_122416.jpg

The other approach I posted above, with the ##r_{GA}## was based on an example I found, asking the same thing of the same structure, but with different distance units. Why does ##r_{GA}## is used, instead of ##r_{CA}## ?

IMG_20210108_122913.jpg

Update: As I suspected and mentioned before, the possible answers are wrong because they are referring to the moment ##M_C## and not ##M_A## .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-08-10-38-03-711_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-08-10-38-03-711_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_2021-01-08-10-38-03-711_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-08-10-38-03-711_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Well sorry , I now see that it is the same thing whether you take the arm to be ##r_{CA}## or ##r_{GA}## because it is ##r_{CA}=r_{GA}+r_{CG}## and when we take the cross product with ##T_{CG}## the term ##r_{CG}\times T_{CG}=0## vanishes. You indeed calculated both to be equal which verifies it.

I don't know why the answer doesn't match one of the options. It might be because they are referring to the moment ##M_C## as you say, i.e moment about point C.

Likes Camailee

1. What is the purpose of the ramp in this statics problem?

The ramp is used to transfer a load from a higher level to a lower level in a controlled manner. In this problem, the ramp is supported by two cables which help distribute the load and maintain stability.

2. How do the cables support the ramp?

The cables act as tension members, meaning they are under tension and pull on the ramp to keep it in place. The tension in the cables balances the weight of the ramp and any additional load placed on it, preventing it from collapsing.

3. What factors affect the tension in the cables?

The tension in the cables is affected by the weight of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, and any additional load placed on the ramp. The length and material of the cables also play a role in determining the tension.

4. How do you calculate the tension in the cables?

The tension in the cables can be calculated using the principles of statics, specifically the equations of equilibrium. By considering the forces acting on the ramp and setting them equal to zero, the tension in each cable can be determined.

5. Can the tension in the cables ever be zero?

No, the tension in the cables cannot be zero as long as the ramp is being supported. If the tension were to become zero, it would mean that there is no force acting on the ramp and it would collapse. Therefore, the tension in the cables must always be present to maintain stability.