Statics problem. Cable with distributed load

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a rope and determining the angle it makes at the bottom. The person asking for help has attempted to use an equation but is unsure which one to use and is stuck on where to start. They have received advice to draw a free body diagram and use the information about forces and equilibrium to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking the others for their help and mentioning that their professor has gone over the problem in class.
ThewyBenner
20161101_101911.jpg

Homework Statement

can someone please help and explain to me how to do this problem? all the data is in the picture above.

Homework Equations

i am not entirely sure which equations i should use. i know one possible equation is T=((T_o)^(2)+(wy)^(2))^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

with the one equation that i know, i can say that point 1 is not the bottom of the parabola.
past that i need help
Any help would be appreciated
i have been stuck for about a day and a half and just don't know where to start.

Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried to solve it all (not sure I can) but try drawing a free body diagram for the rope showing the horizontal forces. I think it's possible to work out the angle the rope makes at the bottom if that helps.

Likes ThewyBenner
You know the forces at the ends of the cable. You know those forces are tangential to the cable ends. You know the drag. That makes 3 forces. If they are in equilibrium they must all meet at one point. You don't have enough information about the cable self-weight to take account of that. Can you do it graphically with a triangle of forces?

Likes ThewyBenner
thanks both of you for the help. my proffessor just walked through the derivation today in class. . . I don't know why he assiNed the problem so early. . .
thanks again

1. What is a statics problem?

A statics problem is a type of engineering problem that deals with the analysis of forces acting on a stationary object. It involves the study of how forces interact with each other and how they affect the equilibrium of a system.

2. What is a cable with distributed load?

A cable with distributed load refers to a cable or wire that is carrying a load that is spread out over its entire length. This is in contrast to a concentrated load, which is a force applied at a single point on the cable.

3. How do you solve a statics problem involving a cable with distributed load?

To solve a statics problem involving a cable with distributed load, you will need to draw a free body diagram of the cable, determine the reactions at the supports, and then calculate the internal forces and moments along the length of the cable using equations of equilibrium and compatibility.

4. What are the common assumptions made when solving a statics problem with a cable and distributed load?

The common assumptions made when solving a statics problem with a cable and distributed load include the cable being massless, inextensible, and perfectly flexible. Additionally, the load is assumed to be distributed evenly along the length of the cable.

5. What are some real-life applications of statics problems involving cables with distributed loads?

Some real-life applications of statics problems involving cables with distributed loads include determining the tension in power lines, analyzing the forces acting on suspension and cable-stayed bridges, and designing cable-supported structures such as tents and cable cars.