Statistical Mechanics: Canonical Partition Function & Anharmonic Oscillator

In summary, the canonical partition function is a key concept in statistical mechanics that describes the statistical properties of a system in thermal equilibrium. It is related to thermodynamic properties through the partition function <em>Z</em> = <em>e<sup>-F/k<sub>B</sub>T</sup></em> and can be calculated for anharmonic oscillators using the path integral or Schrödinger equation methods. The anharmonic correction is important in accurately describing the thermodynamic properties of systems with anharmonic behavior.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

With the Hamiltonian here:

text1.png

Compute the cananonical ensemble partition function given by ##\frac{1}{h} \int dq dp \exp^{-\beta(H(p,q)}##

for 1-d , where ##h## is planks constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am okay for the ##p^2/2m## term and the ##aq^2## term via a simple change of variables and using the gaussian integral result ##\int e^{-x^2} dx = \sqrt{\pi}##

I am stuck on the ## \int dq e^{\beta b q^{3}}## and ## \int dq e^{\beta c q^{3}}## terms.

If these were of the form ## \int dq e^{-\beta b q^{3}}## I could evaluate via ##\int dx e^{-x^n} = \frac{1}{n} \Gamma (1/n) ## where ## \Gamma(1/n) ## is the gamma function;

however because it is a plus sign I have no idea how to integrate forms of ## \int dq e^{x^n}##

Or should I be considering the integral over ##q## all together and there is another way to simply:

##\int dq e^{-\beta(aq^2-bq^3-cq^4)}##

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

With the Hamiltonian here:

View attachment 204133

Compute the canonical ensemble partition function given by ##\frac{1}{h} \int dq dp \exp^{-\beta(H(p,q))}##

for 1-d , where ##h## is planks constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am okay for the ##p^2/2m## term and the ##aq^2## term via a simple change of variables and using the gaussian integral result ##\int e^{-x^2} dx = \sqrt{\pi}##

I am stuck on the ## \int dq e^{\beta b q^{3}}## and ## \int dq e^{\beta c q^{3}}## terms.

If these were of the form ## \int dq e^{-\beta b q^{3}}## I could evaluate via ##\int dx e^{-x^n} = \frac{1}{n} \Gamma (1/n) ## where ## \Gamma(1/n) ## is the gamma function;

however because it is a plus sign I have no idea how to integrate forms of ## \int dq e^{x^n}##

Or should I be considering the integral over ##q## all together and there is another way to simply:

##\int dq e^{-\beta(aq^2-bq^3-cq^4)}##

Many thanks in advance
I suspect this thread would get better help in the "Advanced Physics Homework" section.

I'm no expert in this field, but it seems to me that you need to include distribution information ?

I don't think that the integral can be evaluated exactly in terms of standard functions. Are you sure you aren't asked to come up with an approximate value?

Related to Statistical Mechanics: Canonical Partition Function & Anharmonic Oscillator

1. What is the canonical partition function in statistical mechanics?

The canonical partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that describes the statistical properties of a system in thermal equilibrium. It is denoted by Z and is defined as the sum of all possible states of a system, each weighted by the Boltzmann factor e-Ei/kBT, where Ei is the energy of the ith state, T is the temperature, and kB is the Boltzmann constant.

2. How is the canonical partition function related to thermodynamic properties?

The canonical partition function is related to thermodynamic properties through the partition function Z = e-F/kBT, where F is the Helmholtz free energy. From this relationship, other thermodynamic properties such as internal energy, entropy, and pressure can be calculated using the appropriate derivatives.

3. What is an anharmonic oscillator?

An anharmonic oscillator is a physical system that does not follow the simple harmonic motion described by Hooke's law. In an anharmonic oscillator, the potential energy is not directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, leading to a more complex oscillatory motion. Examples of anharmonic oscillators include molecules in a crystal lattice and diatomic molecules.

4. How is the canonical partition function calculated for an anharmonic oscillator?

The canonical partition function for an anharmonic oscillator can be calculated using the path integral formulation or by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. In the path integral method, the partition function is expressed as a sum over all possible paths of the system, while in the Schrödinger equation method, the partition function is expressed as a sum over all energy levels of the system.

5. What is the significance of the anharmonic correction in the canonical partition function?

The anharmonic correction in the canonical partition function takes into account the deviation from simple harmonic motion in a physical system. It is important in accurately describing the thermodynamic properties of systems with anharmonic behavior, such as crystals and diatomic molecules. Neglecting the anharmonic correction can lead to significant errors in the calculated properties of these systems.